Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket Has Arrived

Options
bob.bud
bob.bud Posts: 297
On 8/23 I responded to a post by g37   indicating that the thread inspired to pull the trigger on a Kick Ash Basket. Today, I am pleased to say that the "convenience" purchase arrived. While I have not quite Shaked that Ash and Lit the Fire, I can say that inside of 5 minutes I have cleaned out the ash and have prepped my egg for that next cook. The following are photos of the process.

Lump left over from the last cook scooped into the basket:

What was below the grate that I scooped out by hand:

Basket in place with the small pieces of lump that was below the grate added back to the basket:

and back to where I started within 5 minutes:

I will post my thoughts on the first burn post Kick Ash basket later.

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta

Comments

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Hope u enjoy your  basket.  Im enjoying mine clean  up is a breeze now. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • bob.bud
    Options
    @g37 I have a feeling that the convenience will pay dividends right from the start.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Great! Now take out that stock grate as its now not necessary. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    I'm kicking myself for not getting one sooner
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    I agree get rid of your stock  grate. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Why did you leave the stock grate in? You don't need it anymore.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I leave the stock grate in when using the Kick Ash Basket.  Air flow is not a problem. The grate helps lower the radiant heat impacting the bottom of the egg - less stress on the egg and less heat transference to the table below.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I don't understand how this is helpful. It looks like you still have to clean out the ash from below. How is this better than just stirring around the coals and adding more charcoal? I'm sure I am missing something and I love upgrades. Someone fill me in. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • bob.bud
    Options
    @ Jeremiah and Toxarch, the pic with the stock grate is because I just pulled all the lump out and into the basket. I then pulled the stick grate, to then scoop out the ash that had fallen through. The basket now sits without the grate.

@Hi5putty, I will no longer have to stir to clear the ash down through the grate. Which, by the way, always results in pieces clogging the grate. Lifting out the grate and shaking it out over a trashcan should make all of this easier and I should have better air flow.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    bob.bud said:
    @ Jeremiah and Toxarch, the pic with the stock grate is because I just pulled all the lump out and into the basket. I then pulled the stick grate, to then scoop out the ash that had fallen through. The basket now sits without the grate.

@Hi5putty, I will no longer have to stir to clear the ash down through the grate. Which, by the way, always results in pieces clogging the grate. Lifting out the grate and shaking it out over a trashcan should make all of this easier and I should have better air flow.
    Ok. So does the ash stay in the basket instead of falling to the base? Probably wouldn't be much difference for my XL but could see a lot of potential with my small. That thing sucks to clean out. Terrible design. Thanks for the info. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I got mine for the MM 2 weeks ago. I bought it to try, prior to getting one for the XL. Bottom line: getting one for the XL. Too easy to work with, fast temps, very easy to clean. I am a fan, and I stay cleaner prepping for cooking.
    Totally recommend for the MM, especially camping or tailgating. After the evening cook, dump the coals in the fire pit to start your evening fire, and quick cool down of the BGE MM. Perfect fit!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    bob.bud said:

Ok. So does the ash stay in the basket instead of falling to the base? Probably wouldn't be much difference for my XL but could see a lot of potential with my small. That thing sucks to clean out. Terrible design. Thanks for the info. 
    The ash and small pieces fall to the very bottom. There's no stock grate to get clogged holes from the small pieces. So just shake the grate a little to knock off any ash left on the pieces, add new charcoal, and light it up. If you want a little less ash to clean later, pull the whole KAB out and shake the ash out in the yard or in a bucket. The KAB also creates a small gap all the way around the charcoal for plenty of airflow. And when you want to clean the ash from the egg, Lift the whole KAB basket out and it takes all the lump out in one move. Clean the ash and then put the basket (with the lump in it) back in and you are ready to go. Removing all the coal for a clean-out is as easy as removing the plate setter.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    Options
    The KAB tends to keep the side air holes cleaner as well.. Rather than shaking in the egg I remove it and shake it into a flower bed or into a large metal ash can.. Only with cold ash.   As was said, it facilitates removal of all lump when I want to start with all fresh
  • bob.bud
    Options
    First cook with KAB here