Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cuban, La Caja China style, Pulled pork

In my new 8 quart pressure cooker. Had to try it. :) After trimming, a 3+ pound pulled pork in an hour and 15 minutes! And I suspect I could have stopped the cook after just an hour! Came out of the cooker in lots of pieces.

Not bad, certainly different... orange juice, lemon juice, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, garlic and some pineapple juice. The Cuban flavors always sounded good to me. I didn't inject or brine, just seared the pork in oil, then added the rest and let it cook.

The Egg's better. And the smoke. And the NC flavors.

http://www.lacajachina.com/Mojo-Criollo_a/168.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I have friends that do this in a crock pot, it's good, but like you, I like the smoke and the bark.  I wonder if this would be good on an egg if you cooked like a chuck - smoke it first then move to a DO or foil pan to braise.  I do like those flavors, just not the mush.

I need to do more with my pressure cooker, I only ever finish pastrami in it, haven't even tried beans yet.  Nice job I think, no pics?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I love me some Cuban pork. Sounds great. Would probably make great carnitas if you seared chunks after the PC or put under the broiler, just give it some char. That's good stuff. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    And I realize carnitas are Mexican, but lots of the same favors in the braise. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Legume said:
    I have friends that do this in a crock pot, it's good, but like you, I like the smoke and the bark.  I wonder if this would be good on an egg if you cooked like a chuck - smoke it first then move to a DO or foil pan to braise.  I do like those flavors, just not the mush.

I need to do more with my pressure cooker, I only ever finish pastrami in it, haven't even tried beans yet.  Nice job I think, no pics?
    It wasn't mush, though it did pull easier than any other pork I've ever cooked. I only needed one fork! =) It went into the pot in one piece, came out in a dozen. I'm sure you could do it in a DO, but I was interested in speed as much as flavor. I didn't bother with pics. It looked like pulled pork.

Austin Egghead has a recipe for Carne Guisada that I think would be outstanding in a PC. I've done it a few times, but always in a DO on my stove, so no smoke. One of my favorite cooks. 

I've done pinto beans a couple of times. Tasty and very fast. I heard that a PC isn't so good for fresh green beans. I may try them anyway. Looking forward to soups too.

I love me some Cuban pork. Sounds great. Would probably make great carnitas if you seared chunks after the PC or put under the broiler, just give it some char. That's good stuff. 
    There are no chunks. More like strands. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Beets steamed in orange juice are great in the PC. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    jlsm said:
    Beets steamed in orange juice are great in the PC. 
    Thank you. Love roasted beets, but they do take a while. Looks like 15-20 minutes in the PC (per the chart I just found anyway).

Michael 
    Central Connecticut