Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BGE lump hardwood charcoal

Options
I have purchased BGE, Royal Oak, Lazari, Webber, local made... I found BGE to have by far the most small waste and Lazari the least.  I have only been a BGE guy for a few months, anyone find a consistent best lump with least small waste?

Comments

• clifkincaid
    Options
    Try google...type in your context followed with big green egg. You will find more than you need. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hit up The Naked Whiz, they'd one all the research for you. It's actually pretty informative.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Yes, Doug has some great info on his site! 

@cooltroy - Where abouts are you located?  From that, we all can chime in with local lumps that are only available in certain regions.

Rockwood has been my favorite for a long time and its maker, @stlcharcoal is on here a fair amount.  Very neutral on smoke, so your smoking chunks will really shine thru.

I did find one recently that intrigued me....  Forrest Lumps.  Its a European hardwood charcoal that is sold in boxes.  2 10# bags in each box.  Its been very good to me on a trial run of a couple of boxes over the past 2 months.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    As mentioned here's a link to TNW's site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  A great ceramic cooking resource.  Chances are the answer to your question is within the site somewhere.  And,  lump charcoal discussions here are like religion and politics elsewhere. 
    So with that as background,  welcome and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Haley
    Haley Posts: 29
    Options
    My favorite reviews on lump is. www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
  • coooltroy
    coooltroy Posts: 207
    Options
    @DaveRichardson Im in Northern CA, good you brought that up, your right each region seems to have many of its own unique products.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Hopefully you are far enough NoCal where you can get out of the state easily to buy some other lumps that don't want to put up with the Cali regulations!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• coooltroy
    Options
    @DaveRichardson I am hearing that!  I guess a 2 hour trip to Nevada will be worth it.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I ordered a bag of Basques Sugar Maple from Firecraft and was very please. Glad they carry it. Now I will switch between Rockwood and Sugar Maple.
    McKinney, TX
  • coooltroy
    Options
    Rockwood has incredible reviews... but CA won't allow it  :o
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Lump will vary. The last bag of Royal Oak  I used had less than 1/2 cup of dust and chips. That's not the norm. My point is that you have to buy bags over a period of time to get an idea of the lump. Going to a web site that tested one bag of lump 7 years ago is not the best way to determine the quality of the lump. The manufacture's process may have changed since then. They may have received an above average bag or below average bag. Keep buying several brands over the course of a year or two an you'll eventually find one or two that meets your requirements. The bag of Rockwood I bought was good except it was twice the cost of Royal Oak and burned almost twice as quick.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    The bag of BGE that came with my XL was PERFECT.    
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    California regulators are idiots. Rockwood is the cleanest stuff available...I think..at least from what lump I've used. I can almost eat out of my firebox, and I often eat off my PS. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    My experience says find a brand that is easily available and get used to how it performs in your oven. Predictability trumps all differences among brands. Personally I use Wegman's store brand (NE PA/ SE NY). I know how it works and it's the same every time.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i'm with mosca.  what's more, unless it is crappy stuff that sparks continuously, it's possible to cook with any lump, any size, any time.

sure, i have favorites, but i prefer whatever is available and local and cheap. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• stemc33
    Options
    i'm with mosca.  what's more, unless it is crappy stuff that sparks continuously, it's possible to cook with any lump, any size, any time.

sure, i have favorites, but i prefer whatever is available and local and cheap. 
    Have you tried Cowboy Lump? 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    yeah.  cowboy is fine.  can be real good in fact.

despite much talk of it being discarded lumber, it's actually all clean maple and oak. 

i have had good an bad bags of every type of lump i have ever tried.  it's a natural product.  nobody's sorting any of this stuff.  whatever comes out of the retort is what goes in the bag that day.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    yeah.  cowboy is fine.  can be real good in fact.

despite much talk of it being discarded lumber, it's actually all clean maple and oak. 

i have had good an bad bags of every type of lump i have ever tried.  it's a natural product.  nobody's sorting any of this stuff.  whatever comes out of the retort is what goes in the bag that day.

You never had a bad bag of Maple Leaf now didja? No wait....I never gave you any

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mikee
    Options
    Someone Egging once a week or a couple times a month may not feel the pinch of the price of lump. In fact they may draw an opinion that the $24 a bag has to be better than a bag that sells for $12. After all, the price  is indicative of the quality. They are so wrong. There is no need on my part to spend 2x the price to have a slightly, if that, better lump. When a lump as RW becomes 2x better I'll make it my primary choice. Until then its off my radar.
  • stemc33
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Someone Egging once a week or a couple times a month may not feel the pinch of the price of lump. In fact they may draw an opinion that the $24 a bag has to be better than a bag that sells for $12. After all, the price  is indicative of the quality. They are so wrong. There is no need on my part to spend 2x the price to have a slightly, if that, better lump. When a lump as RW becomes 2x better I'll make it my primary choice. Until then its off my radar.
    Funny. :rofl: 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mikee
    Options
    stemc33 said:

I'm not surprised by your stupid reply. Someday you'll grow up and learn how to cook and not belittle someone who knows how.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Mikee said:
    stemc33 said:

I'm not surprised by your stupid reply. Someday you'll grow up and learn how to cook and not belittle someone who knows how.
    Can't we just get along???   I am glad that Mikee has figured out RO and loves it, just leaves more of the RW for me.  Jus messing with ya Mikee. Everybody should use whatever lump they like regardless of what everyone else prefers. These threads just prove lump is like religion and politics.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Mikee said:

Same argument could be made for why you have a Big Green Egg over a Weber, Akorn, or something else that cranks about pretty good food for a fraction of the money. 

BTW, pricing is up to the retailers, not us.  You'd be surprised for what it sells for in STL.....we're the people's charcoal here.  We do not have the vast distribution network that Home Depot has, so shipping adds on a lot.  Then the retailers get what they can get I suppose.  Royal Oak makes a good product for the money, and there's no way we can compete with them in price or quantity.  Sorry.
  • Mikee
    Options

Mattman3969 you are so correct. I overpaid for a bag of RW so that I could compare it. I could not offer an opinion unless I tried it. I have never stated that RO was the best. From my experience it seems to be the best value; 1/2 the price and burns longer.

Until a lump come along and beats RO in value, RO will be my go to lump. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This discussion is rusty!  RW is great, RO others like.  And all the rest.  Rockwood is my favorite.  Yours might be Cowboy  :o. Buy what you like/can afford.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • stemc33
    Options
    Mikee said:
    stemc33 said:

Still ROFLAO :rofl: :rofl: where are all of your cooks?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Wegman's store brand is $7/10lb bag. It works great.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I dunno... :confused: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I actually met a guy at a dinner party, last night, that just "discovered" lump charcoal, and, as luck would have it, the brand he used was Cowboy. He was fascinated. I chose to withhold my opinion, because he was on cloud 9. 
    We extended the offer for a cook to he and his wife. I will share my experience with him then. I keep Rockwood and Carbon Del Sur on hand. RO has been used, but, too much fines, shake and powder for me. I am sure they have quality material, but I dispose of about 1/4 to 1/3 of a bag that can't be used each time I have bought it. The other two, nowhere near as much waste. Maybe I have just gotten bad bags, but I have gone through the same thing with RO and BGE EVERY BAG.
    CDS is about 3/4 the cost of RW. These have been good quality in every bag.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mikee
    Options
    @stlcharcoal If you read my posts about your lump, I've never indicated it was inferior. The retailer in my area sets their price as you alluded to. That retailer priced it at $24 per bag. At that price it becomes a matter of 'bang for the buck'. With RO at just a tad above $12/bag, that is my go to lump. I can buy Cowboy for under $10 a bag with a coupon at times. RW lump is as good as any lump I've used; just not what I would consider or recommend for someone who cooks 5-6 times a week due to the price.