Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook Off Ideas

Help! Need ideas for a EGGfest. All prep has to be done on site because of local health codes. Only have 2 hours before serving. Suggestions PLEASE!

Comments

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited August 2015
    My goals are always: Cheap (it's just me), moderately fast, and easy to serve.

I've done various types of pork tenderloins (caribbean tacos, glazed, etc.), wings, appetizers, and pizza.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • tondrusek said:
    Help! Need ideas for a EGGfest. All prep has to be done on site because of local health codes. Only have 2 hours before serving. Suggestions PLEASE!
    I wonder how common this is? Do they have inspectors on-site to check everything out?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I wonder how common this is? Do they have inspectors on-site to check everything out?
    Man it's a good thing that no inspectors showed up at brisket camp. Me and Nola would be in prison ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Yes, the inspectors come and check everything it if it passes then the get a license for the day and then everyone can start to cook.
  • tondrusek said:
    Yes, the inspectors come and check everything it if it passes then the get a license for the day and then everyone can start to cook.
    Which Eggfest is this?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited August 2015
    If it weren't for the time and money invested, it would almost be fun to see how quickly they could disqualify you. Drop a piece of raw chicken on the ground then quickly pick it up and throw on the grill; shrug your shoulders and say "5 second rule, right?"
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    In past EGGfests I've done chicken thighs with Alabama white sauce, smoked salmon, corn on the cob, ABTs, moink balls and dates wrapped in bacon. I got lots of complements on all of them, but the biggest hits were the corn on the cob (with Butter, Ancho, S&P & lime juice) and the smoked salmon. Good luck and have fun!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Tri-tip. Can knock them out in about 45 mins. chicken in about the same amount of time. I mean you could do other stuff and do turbo mode
    Jacksonville, FL