Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BEST CUT OF BEEF Flat Iron steak or Feather Strap Steak

coooltroy
coooltroy Posts: 207
edited August 2015 in Beef
I had seen that a couple celebrity chefs mentioned this cut as their preference over Tenderloin Filet, and it is a third of the price!  I didn't believe it, but proved myself wrong after getting a "flat iron chuck roast" tonight.  I asked the butcher to filet as I had seen in the celebrity chef post.  Used Adam Perry Lang Chuck Steak and Leaner steaks marinade from "BBQ 25" for 2 hours. 2 Tbsp Worsc Sauce, 2 Tbsp Soy, 2 Tbsp red wine vin, 1 Tbsp gbp, 2 Tbsp grated or chopped white onion, 2 Tbsp finely chop garlic, 2 Tbsp garlic salt, fresh thyme, 1 cup cold water, 2 Tbsp chile powder optional.  Med-High reg grate setting, 1 chunk Hick, 2 chunk Pecan. 6ish minutes per side.  MEDIUM RARE to RARE cook only.  Wow.  $4.99 per pound, best steak I have ever had.  Note I also seasoned with salt and pepper prior to cook and "glazed" with butter, garlic and sugar in raw during cook.

Comments

• That is some great looking steak. Job well done!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I bet that didn't suck. I am interested in the bread too. Looks homemade'sh. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Nicely cooked steak you got there.  Flat iron is very under rated and under utilized.  Most stores probably don't even carry it because people don't buy it.  Luckily there's a store near me that has it.  I've been using it to make fajitas.  Good stuff.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • coooltroy
    Bread was store bought non refrigerated, just added smoked spanish Pap... Turned out better than I expected.  Steak was so tender, it is my favorite cut now.  Glad my local store sells them as a roast and filet them at request.  Thanks for the kind words!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Flat iron is dollar for dollar the hands down king. Not even a close second. Nice post. Everything looks great. IMO the cut does not require all the manipulation prior to cooking, but it can't hurt I guess. 
  • coooltroy
    pgprescott, well said, your correct the manipulation isn't necessary, plain ol salt and pepper still make for a fabulous taste.  Since I bought Adam Perry Langs book I have been trying all sorts of things, they are all laborious, but I really enjoy the work and experimentation.  This forum is awesome!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @coooltroy  Great looking grub brother. It looks outstanding. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• coooltroy
    @SGH thanks much!  You know a cut of beef is tender when you eat leftovers the next day and it is just as tender as when it was served of the grill.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    coooltroy said:
     You know a cut of beef is tender when you eat leftovers the next day and it is just as tender as when it was served of the grill.  
    While I do agree, my fat a$$ rarely has leftovers my friend ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• coooltroy
    LOL!  I rarely have leftover beef myself, I think I had a really late lunch  =)
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I like it :plus_one: 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming