Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Smoker Set Up - Boston Butt

Options
Hey, Eggers. I smoked an amazing Boston Butt last week and I took the time to record a video of my smoker set up. I didn't get to video the end of the cook because the guest arrived and I didn't want to leave them to hang out by themselves. I have used this same set up for several cooks and have been very pleased. Check out the video and give me some feedback. What do you like or not like. I am always looking for ways to improve. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/Vp5juF7Ql2w

Comments

• PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Sounds textbook to me. Wish we could have seen the final product....I'm sure it was great! 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Great post, thanks or sharing. 

I don't layer the lump.  I pour in the wood and layer with smoking chunks, then use a poker to open up the air holes.

5 or 6 hour cook? 

Room temp is good, but you can even start with a frozen butt, just longer.. 

I light with my looflighter only in the center.  I don't wrap the platesetter, but I do wrap my drip pan. 

I have never wrapped my probes..  I have always done fat cap down.. 

For the finish, I make sure it probes like butter, usually closer to 200 or so. 

Awesome video!  As you said, we all do it different and do what works for us. 

Thanks for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • EggerPalmerATL
    Options
    @smbishop Thanks for the input. I have done the layering and the smoking chunks on top. I always wondered if the chunks lower down provided more smoke later in the cook.

It was about a 6 hr cook. 

I set it out when I start the egg to shorten the cook. I've never done one from frozen but I have done one straight from the fridge to the grate. 

Do you leave your egg wide open at first then dial it down to the cook temp after it gets started good? I wrap my plate setter since I had a mess when my drip pan spilled one cook. I don't wrap the drip pan because I only use it once or twice. If I get a real pan, I will wrap it. 

This was my first time with a probe. I've heard several people burning them up so I figured it wouldn't hurt to wrap them. 

I always like to hear what people do differently. I'm always up for experimenting. Thanks again. 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    You did everything perfect, just sharing a different perspective.

I pour some lump, add some chunks, pour some lump and add some chunks.  I do leave it wide open and then dial it down when it reaches 200 - 250, put the platesetter in, spacers, drip pan (stainless steel wrapped in foil), grill, probes and let it stabilize, closing the vents until the smoke is cleared like you stated.   I'm just surprised at the 6 hr cook with a butt, mine are more like 12 hours + at 250 dome.  I have a maverick, Bbq guru partyq and and guru wifi, have never wrapped the probes, I know a lot of people do...

Thanks for sharing the video!  Going to do a brisket point I found in the managers special bin tomorrow.  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • EggerPalmerATL
    Options
    I try to keep my temps at 250 dome temp but really just make sure its under 300. The occasional 300 degree dome temps may be why mine cook faster. I don't have the fancy devices that monitor grate temp or control it for me. I want to buy another probe like the one I have to monitor grate temps in the future but they are currently out of stock. 

My best cook yet was a full brisket. The flat was drier than I prefer but the point was amazing. Burnt ends were a hit at the party. I need to find one and do it again.

Enjoy your cook!
  • EggerPalmerATL
    Options
    I am ready for football season! Going to fire up the egg for another smoke this weekend! Going to try to keep the temp lower and cook it longer this time.