Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with salmon brine

Options
We have really enjoyed doing salmon on the egg. Problem for me is the salmon flavor seems to be to strong for me. Does anyone have a brine that will tone down the strong salmon taste? Thanks.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You might want to try salting and orange juice.  Make sure you are not over cooking it - over cooked salmon takes on a different taste.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    There is a surefire cure for this problem. Head to Anchorage. Catch a bush plane to any of the major rivers in the Bristol Bay region. Find a guide to take you into the middle of the wilderness and then catch and eat a salmon right there on the riverbank. Will forever change the way salmon tastes and all life's other priorities. 
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Place the salon filets in a ziplock bag with brown sugar and finely chopped onions and ginger....also maybe add some honey if you'd like. Add just a TOUCH of water and zip it up for anywhere from a few hours to overnight. See if that is what you're looking for. FYI: Don't add any salt or you will accidentally cure it rather than brine/marinate it. Good luck.
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• swcham
    swcham Posts: 30
    Options
    Our favorite is pretty simple...1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup water, 1/4 veg oil...a little garlic powder, lemon pepper on salmon, then marinate for 2 hours or so, but at least an hour...I also avoid eating the brown layer of "fat" between the meat and skin, it tends to be a bit too strong for my taste...hope this helps!
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    Sweetness or citrus flavors work fairly well to knock that taste down a notch. It's also really easy to over cook and that is the main reason many find it really strong tasting. If you are finding the texture a bit on the dry side you can always top the filet with plenty of butter, onions, slices of tomatoes/ onions, any fresh vegetable really and then wrap it in a loose foil pouch and cook it on the egg. By doing so you will lose out on the grilled smokey flavor but it will stay moist and the strong flavor will be cooked out a bit.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    We cooked some Sslmon the other night with soy sauce, brown sugar and honey. It came out awesome and wasn't fishy at all.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If it's fishy, it's not fresh.  Not necessarily bad, but salmon often gets caught in the US, frozen, shipped to china for processing, frozen again and shipped back to the US for sale.

This works for most fish (not tuna).  Soak in milk for 20-30 minutes.
    Options
    Just don't keep it in the brine to long.
    I try and keep it under an hour or 30 minutes for thin pieces.
    I also rinse and pat dry before grilling.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Eat Halibut. Salmon is too fishy anyway but Sashimi!
    Duncan, SC
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Thank you everyone.  I cook it to around 135 degrees.  Looking forward to trying these out!