Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CyberQ set up issues

KdB
KdB Posts: 2
Warning...this may be long winded.  I'll try to keep it brief, yet detailed enough to hopefully get some help.

I have had a CyberQ for about a week, now.  I have yet to be able to pair it with my Motorola  MotoX, 1st gen. running Android KitKat.  Or on my Lenovo laptop using Windows 8.

On the MotoX, in my available WiFi, connections, myCyberQ shows up.  I open that up, type in the password "1234abcdef", push connect.  The screen says connecting, and proceeds to stay the for and hour or more.  Does not connect.  last night I had two fellow employees with iphones connect to the device straight away, so I know the device is not defective on that end.

On my  laptop, when I go to Settings, Available WiFi,  the myCyberQ prompt does not show up at all.  Nothing to open up.  Again last night, I asked a coworker to try to connect with his laptop running Windows 8.   In his Settings, Available WiFi, he did not have the MyCyberQ  either. 

I also loaded the Pit Pal BBQ app on my phone.  Type the password in,  go to another Google browser window and type in the IP address and get a message that the address is not available.

Any help would be appreciated.  If I can't get this sorted out, I'll have to ask if I can exchange it for a DigiQ.   I would rather keep this.  I like the idea of monitoring three different meats and from afar. 

Man, this is frustrating.  I hate to have to exchange this for a DigiQ, which I know is a fine device, I just prefer this.

Thank-you,

Kev

Comments

• GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    More info is needed - are you using the CyberQ in Ad-Hoc mode, or Infrastructure mode?
  • KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    Is the laptop in Adhoc or Infrastructure mode? The default setting on the cyberq is adhoc. Your phone may not be able to switch to Adhoc mode.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • KSwoll
    I have had really good luck with the BBQ Guru tech support. They helped me through an email notification issue I was experiencing.
    Northern Virgina
  • KSwoll
    You can change the CyberQ settings to Infrastructure mode and have it search for your existing wireless network. You can connect to it that way too.
    Northern Virgina
  • JamesM
    JamesM Posts: 13
    I agree with KSwoll's comment on the phone not able so connect in ad hoc mode.  However, your computer should see the wifi signal. Ad hoc is extremely simple.  Is your computer set up to receive the 2.4 Ghz 801.11 B signal?
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    I'm running on iPhone and Mac here so not much help I'm afraid. I remember it being a pain initially but once you get it worked out you'll be happy. I found it easier to stay connected if you run in infrastructure mode and then connect with your phone through the home wifi. I have not and don't really have the need to get into the port forwarding method. All that provides is a gateway to the Internet. To much of a pain for me and I don't have the need to check temps if I'm not at home. 
  • Android does not support AD-Hoc, so you will not be able to connect to the CyberQ.  

So, what you can do to get this thing running is to first SWITCH it over to infrastructure mode.  Then you need to SCAN for you wifi network. Type in the Password and have the CyberQ connect to your home wifi network.  Once that is done, then you can use PitPal.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• KSwoll
    What I have done in the past was reset the "RESET EEPROM". Hold all the triangle buttons down together until the CyberQ reboots and displays "RESET EEPROM". I would let it boot up completely. Then I would use my laptop to connect via ADHOC. Once connected I would change the CyberQ wifi setting to infrastructure and add to my home wifi network. Once the initial settings are changed, the device will remember them the next time and should connect automatically.
    Northern Virgina
  • KdB
    KdB Posts: 2
    Thank you all for your advice.  I had to have a friend come to my house and help me set this up.  Actually, he didn't help, he did it.  There is no way I would have figured it out.