Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware = AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Options
Over the past year or so, I have watched all the rave reviews of the Smokeware cap. While everyone else was happy, I had not been pleased with mine at all. I even chimed in a couple of times on accessory threads saying that I wouldn't buy it again due to leaking and temp control issues with the one I had. It seemed that everyone else that had one loved the thing and had great things to say about it, while every time I used mine I ended up with a turbo cook by the end. It was a royal PITA!

A couple of weeks ago, I had enough of fighting the temp creep and had written it off as an accessory to throw in the garage, never to be used again. Instead, I decided I would take a few minutes to scribe an email to them about the issues I had with mine just to see if anything would come of it. Within hours I got a personal phone call from Matt (The Smokeware owner). He said no problem, I'll send you a new one! You may have one with a tolerance issue - send it back, I want to check it out.

Sure enough, just as he promised, I got a new one in the mail a couple of days later. This one fits MUCH tighter between the stainless neck and the top than the one that I sent back to Smokeware. I have used it now several times from an 8 hr smoke at 250 to several other higher temp long cooks. The new one performs flawlessly - easily two thumbs up. 

The most impressive thing to me about all of this is that the owner of the company took the time to personally call me and apologize, as well as send me a replacement item that was on my egg within a few days. In my opinion, that's the way to run a business and keep a customer! I will be picking up another one or two of these for my other eggs based on this whole experience. 

Cheers,

minniemoh
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I agree! Matt is a top notch guy and I have had several conversations with him over the passed three years, not with complaints though! I have also demoed his products for 2 Eggfests in Peoria and was going to do the same this year with his most recent modified cap plus the snuff top but they arrived three days too late. Good man, good products too! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Matt is a great guy. He really does want to run a great company. Glad you're satisfied. 

I like the second version better too. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That is awesome...
    I met Matt this year at the Georgia Mountain Eggfest. What a nice guy...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Great outcome. Most of the successful aftermarket vendors are phenomenal people with a great passion. As a retailer, we love to hear this about one of our stock products. The people you deal with are the difference between success and failure. Enjoy the cap.