Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can someone help a newbie out?

Options

Never done a turbo butt before and didn't read any of Mick's 10,000 posts on the subject. Have a 8 lb. picnic I want to finish for dinner.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cliffturner04
    Options
    I did one last week, and it was insanely good. Light coat of mustard and heavy seasoning (watch out for high salt rubs though).  350° indirect. Once the probe said 170° I poured about a half cup of apple juice in the bottom of a foil pan and wrapped it VERY tightly. Reinsert the probe, try to wrap foil around the probe instead of puncturing the foil itself. Let it keep cruising until it's 205° internal. Then I wrapped in foil (double wrap, heavy duty foil) and let it rest for about 30 minutes. The bone will pull right out and you can shred it with a fork. Amazing stuff. 
  • cliffturner04
    Options
    I forgot to mention to make sure you start with a completely clean grill. take the firebox and ring out and clean it thoroughly. Then load your lump, big pieces on the bottom, layer your smoking chips or chunks throughout. Once it's up to temp add soaked chunks or chips to the top, add your plate setter and grate, then add your meat. It will drop significantly in temp for at least an hour, that's normal, don't fool with the vents. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Thanks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't think Cliff knows you. :)

Season however you like (but for God's sake, no mustard!), 350°, no foil. Just let it go till done.

Gonna be a late dinner I think.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Will take 40-45 minutes per pound at 350. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Options
    It's been on at 200 for a couple of hours to take on some smoke. Too late to empty out the firebox and stack the lump though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It's been on at 200 for a couple of hours to take on some smoke. Too late to empty out the firebox and stack the lump though.
    :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Run your temp up to 300 or so and ride it out. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    More beer will ease the stress...  
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Stay with the cook. It will be late, but tasty. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I thought a picnic was eating a premade meal out of a basket in the park or on the beach ;) I'm lost. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    ;)SGH said:
    I thought a picnic was eating a premade meal out of a basket in the park or on the beach ;) I'm lost. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON