Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'Strip Loin Piece' = delicious dinner

Options
Hello All,
Went to my favorite butcher shop a while back and ran into something I don't think I've ever encountered before. Several hunks of beef marked as 'Strip Loin Piece' and priced at $3.99/#. They looked pretty decent and I thought worst case scenario they'd go into a burger or something, so I picked up three of them and put them into the freezer when I got home. Today I decided to cook one up and, inspired by another thread, decided to use my Sous Vide. The entire ~2.5# chunk went in at 132F for a few hours while I was working then I fired up the egg to very hot for a sear on all sides. Took the hunk out, dried it on all sides, brushed it with some garlic butter I'd made and gave it a healthy coat of Golden Toad steak seasoning. Onto the super hot egg on a grid right above the coals, 30-50 seconds on each side.

So call me crazy, but I think this is essentially an end of the New York Strip section of the cow. I can't believe that would only be $4/#, because it would take almost no effort to cut it into a couple of steaks. In the end this was GREAT! May have seared it just a bit too much and maybe left it in the SV a little too long (butter knife tender if not fork tender...) but all in all a really nice cook. Rested for ~10min before slicing them brushed the slices with garlic butter right after plating. Served with a salad and some BBQ black beans. Enjoyed by all and even have a bit leftover for lunch tomorrow.

Cheers all -
B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I see those as "strip loin- first cut" at times. It's off of the end of the loin where a muscle group converges so it has veins of connective tissue through it, making it "imperfect" for presentation as a strip steak. I had one last weekend that almost looked like a ribeye.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Always fun to see an underused piece of meat out to good use. Do you think it would have been good just grilled like a strip steak? Just wondering, for those of us that don't have the SV
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @blind99, I have two more in the freezer, so I'm thinking the next one I'll thaw and cut into 'steaks' before reverse searing in a more traditional, non-SV way. I expect this will be just as good as what we enjoyed tonight, but we'll have to see.

@Eggcelsior iId guess it's got to be the same thing, but I didn't see any big, ugly veins or connective tissue or anything. Maybe I just lucked out, but this was a tasty and very pretty piece of meat. I'd certainly buy it again based on tonight's cook.

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    @Black_Badger how does the foil work for you over your SV container?  I left mine uncovered last time (it was a quick SV)...but I can see the need to cover for longer cooks...
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    @chrisc133 - I think the foil actually reduces evaporation quite a bit. When I did 72 hour short ribs I used the foil and still had to top the water up once, but it was only once. I'm sure there's a better solution, but this is quick and easy.

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I just cut up the leftovers for a steak salad at lunch and ran into a big vein of fat and some of that connective tissue you were talking about, so now I think I get it. this must be the end of the NY Strip section that is not used, and I just got lucky by starting to cut from the nicer end. That being said, at $4/# it was a steal and I legitimately got 3 full servings of nice slices without having to do any real trimming or anything.

Long story short, I'd buy these guys again in a heartbeat.

B_B

Middleton, WI