Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need ideas on adding a drawer

Options

I search found to details on how to add a drawer. Looking for storage for plate setter,peel ,etc. . Looking to add it under the bottom shelf the whole wide one drawer. Advise appreciated.

"One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
" Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I see guys adding some slide rails below the table that you can slide plastic containers in and out of. They route out some wood rails creating a ledge for the tubs to slide on. I'm sure someone here has a pic of theirs. Pretty cool idea in my opinion.  
  • CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Options
    I would really like to see some pics posted to get ideas.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Google big green egg storage ideas. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Just a few questions. Will this table be out in the rain? Do you want to do this quick and on the cheap or do you mind spending some coins? Want it to slide open with ease then go with HD metal drawer rails with ball bearing. Then I'd  pop even more coins for stainless steel rails as my baked on enamel ones crapped out in 3 years! Concerned with bugs, spiders, mice, snakes, or whatever nasties hide where you live?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    If you do the tubs, use a dense wood to make the rails, and after you put a finish on them, coat the "slide" part with a wax so the tubs slide on them easily!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• RRP
    Options
    If you do the tubs, use a dense wood to make the rails, and after you put a finish on them, coat the "slide" part with a wax so the tubs slide on them easily!
    I don't disagree, but wax will wear down quickly. I have solved the same issue using strips of Formica glued on the wear strip sides. I've also used thin metal strips. You can even buy strips of hard plastic runners made for that purpose. Just sayin...
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    Google big green egg storage ideas. 
    Will do. Thanks
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just a few questions. Will this table be out in the rain? Do you want to do this quick and on the cheap or do you mind spending some coins? Want it to slide open with ease then go with HD metal drawer rails with ball bearing. Then I'd  pop even more coins for stainless steel rails as my baked on enamel ones crapped out in 3 years! Concerned with bugs, spiders, mice, snakes, or whatever nasties hide where you live?
    I plan to keep it in my garage. I would like to add an all wood drawer with stainless slides. Critters I have not thought of. As long as I can keep snakes out the rest I can deal with.   I would hate to shoot the table to kill a snake.
  • RRP
    Options
    CDPlaya said:
    RRP said:
    I plan to keep it in my garage. I would like to add an all wood drawer with stainless slides. Critters I have not thought of. As long as I can keep snakes out the rest I can deal with.   I would hate to shoot the table to kill a snake.
    You say "all wood drawer with stainless sides" but I assume you meant stainless drawer rails and I agree! Woodcraft has an extensive choice and I have always found them to be reasonable. Be sure to calculate your expected highest weight which includes the drawer itself. Wimpy rails will collapse, bend and break. Since I was protecting my drawer from rain I used a piece of aluminum flashing cut from a continuous roll so there would be no leaks to line the overhead and sides of my drawer's carcass. As well as the butt (closed) end. That make sense? Think of that flashing as the roof and walls over and down your drawer to protect it!
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    @RRP can you post a picture. It to vision it.   

I was was surfing the web, I saw a Hot Rack. A sliding rack for storage and to cool down hot items. What you think of something like that?
  • RRP
    Options
    CDPlaya said:

I was was surfing the web, I saw a Hot Rack. A sliding rack for storage and to cool down hot items. What you think of something like that?
    I've seen pictures of those Hot Racks before and if it serves your purpose then go for it!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stainless drawer slides are the best for outdoor stuff but they're awfully expensive.  Good thing is they'll outlast your table.  You can make or buy some hardwood slides - they won't fully extend but they may last the life of your table.
    OK, so I just googled "Hot Racks" and I do NOT see anything related to bbq.  Not that I'm unhappy with the results, but...
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Check the load capacity for the drawer slides before you buy.
  • CDPlaya
    Options
    I found the Rack on Ebay . The guy sell them and will build to your dimentions. I am guessing it will cost about $125. Then have to come up with a way to make it slide in and out.