Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Can I build a smoker out of a gas tank?

Options
We have an old gas tank that's not in use and I was wondering if it'd be possible to turn it into a (rather large) smoker?  The thing I'm concerned about is that I do not know how thick the walls are.  I've read that propane tanks are often thicker than gas tanks and therefore more conducive to building a pit out of.  Just curious if anyone here may point me in the right direction.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    gas as in gasoline, your going to need more than one beer hitting that with a torch =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

Smoker?  Hell, I'd be worried about building a flamer!

Clinton, Iowa
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance, but I thought many people built custom smokers from old gas/propane tanks?  Or is using a gas tank a terrible idea?
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

No offense meant.  I, personally, am a big chicken when it comes to stuff like that.  Other guys probably look at it as no big deal.

Clinton, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes. It'll need drained, flushed, re-flushed, etc until whomever is cutting it feels safe.  Once all the fabrication is complete it'll need several burns to season and remove any residual toxins. I'm no expert but, thus one appears to be a #2 fuel oil or diesel tank around 500 gallons would be my guess going solely off your pic. My personal opinion for offsets is a LP tank mod is better because of the thickness of the tank itself. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Options
    Thank NP, appreciate your response.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    looks like #2 to me as well. ive done propane tanks, i soak them with soap and water a couple days and rinse well and cut into it immediately. if its gasoline its always scared me, i might soak, then steam, then fill with argon, and still i might want more than 1 beer in me. if its #2, its going to really smoke when you cut into, outdoors and a big fan
    fukahwee maine

• shnax
    shnax Posts: 1
    Options
    There's an episode of BBQ with Franklin where he builds a smoker out of a propane tank. He fills it with water and makes his cuts while it's still full of water.
  • fergi
    fergi Posts: 138
    Options
    There's an episode of "BBQ with Franklin" named "The Pits" that shows step by step how to build one from a 250 gallon propane tank. He filled it completely with water and cut the openings with a grinder while still full of water. It aired on public tv here in the DFW area.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• fishlessman
    Options

this is my propane boat stove, the propane doesnt scare me but after washing gas tanks you can really still smell the gassoline

fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Maybe Scottie can chime in on this @SGH
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    You can probably gage the thickness by the overlap of steel on the tank . There usually pretty thick. Looks like it would hold at least 4 whole hogs.Yes you can make a good cooker out of it but you'll have to vent the devil out of it on your first cut.It probably was used for oil.I bought a 300 new tank and made a cooker.I sold it and got my egg.
    good luck with the project, take your time and you can do wonders.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Maybe Scottie can chime in on this @SGH
    Give me until tonight my friend. I'm still at work. I actually have some pretty good info for him. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Many legit offset stickburners are being used that were made from mods just like this. Go for it. I had a decent offset a longtime ago but, at the time it was just way overkill. I gave it away :(  FWIW I can put out serious Q on the BGE but, it's a totally different end product and the process is 100% different when compare to the BGE. I'm not trying to dissuade you but the facts are the facts.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No worries on getting the fuel oil out.  Hopefully it's empty because you can't just pour the fuel down the drain.  

You fill it up with water and a couple bottles of Dawn, slosh it around.  Do this a couple times.  After you're done building it, burn a hot fire inside. 

You'r concern with the gauge of steel is valid for durability.  Thinner steel won't last as long.  The most corrosive area is around the fire and I imagine you'll have a firebox.  
    Options
    shnax said:
    There's an episode of BBQ with Franklin where he builds a smoker out of a propane tank. He fills it with water and makes his cuts while it's still full of water.
    Yep. Best advice in this thread. Do this. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

You'r concern with the gauge of steel is valid for durability.  Thinner steel won't last as long.  

@nolaegghead  Just curious what you're thinking on this.  @Thatgrimguy got me all hot and bothered to build a UDS.  In fact, my new barrel is in the back of the truck as I type this.  It sounds like guys are getting quite a bit of use out of the UDS's and those barrels are pretty thin metal.  Are you thinking that the steel will corrode over time?
    Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    blasting said:

You'r concern with the gauge of steel is valid for durability.  Thinner steel won't last as long.  

@nolaegghead  Just curious what you're thinking on this.  @Thatgrimguy got me all hot and bothered to build a UDS.  In fact, my new barrel is in the back of the truck as I type this.  It sounds like guys are getting quite a bit of use out of the UDS's and those barrels are pretty thin metal.  Are you thinking that the steel will corrode over time?
    It definitely will. The uds will stay pretty coated in oil. But it's ugly by design so who cares. And cheap. 

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    If my vote is worth anything I say hell yeah go for it. But as stated above clean it and cut it full of water. Here is one a friend built for me last year. 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Aaron Franklin discusses techniques to forces excess fumes from the interior of a propane tank while converting into a pit. Probably worth a watch as some of the techniques will be transferable.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA