Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Rib Cook...help!

Options
I'm following Car Wash Mike's technique.   Only second time I've used my thermometer to monitor grid temp.   My dome temp is holding pretty steady at 200, but the thermometer keeps climbing.  It's already at 250.   Should I try to bring the temp down before I get started or just ignore the thermometer and get it to 225 on the dome and go.
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it too much.  That's one reason I don't use a grid thermometer any more.  It might be reasonable to closed down the vents some for just a few minutes to make sure the fire isn't too big before you open the lid to put the ribs on, but I wouldn't let this slow me down more than about 5 minutes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• clemsontyger97
    Options
    Crazy, went back out just now and it's around 210 on the dome...275 on the thermometer.  I closed them down except for a sliver on the daisy wheel to bring it down a little at least.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Go now. Dome and pit temps vary a lot. Cook until the ribs start pulling back from the bone and the bend is where you want it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Good deal, thanks guys.  Ribs are on.  Pics later unless they suck.  :)

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Grid temps and dome temps will equalize over a long cook.  Don't sweat it.  250 is a good tempt to shoot for over the entire cook.  Don't sweat the temp swings, everything is good!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Looks like all is well.   I've been rolling at a fairly steady 225-230 on both dome and thermometer for about an hour now.   I think what may have actually happened initially was my probe fell between the grates.   I noticed it when I opened the lid, but I thought that I had just pulled the wire to do that when I opened it.   But since putting it back on and seeing how fairly close they are,  I am pretty sure it had just slipped down.   So far, so good.   About to hit them with first round of apple juice/cider

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Don't get too caught up in the temp. If your within 30-40 of your target, just go with it. Remember every piece of meat is different anyway. It's not a perfect science relationship between temp and time at all. 
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Getting close to the finish line.   I think I'm going to throw sauce on one half of them just so my wife can compare and decide which she likes better.  Perhaps dumb question, but does it make any difference if the sauce goes on cold vs warm?   

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It does not matter, purist will say ambient, I have put sauce on in 30ish degree weather. They were good.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky