Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inaugural Mini Cook.

Options
Bought the Mini on Thursday and I've been itching to use it so tonight was the night.  

Picked up up some Filets at Krogers along with some sweet corn and mini  portobellos. The tomatoes were picked up at the local farmers market while we had the granddaughter there playing at the park this morning.  

Decide to just do the meat on the mini so I could learn how this thing works.  I gotta say that it is damn fast to come up to temp.  I lit the small and the mini at the same time and the mini was 150° ahead of the small in no time flat.  I put my wife's filet on before mine because of different temp likes.  Here they both are gettin happy 

The small carried the load on the veggies. 

In honor of @hapster here's a selfie of me and the mini doing what it does. 

I let my steak run a little high but it still tasted great. 

I cant get over the the mini.  These steaks were cooked on about 6 pieces of RW lump and way over 1/2 of them are left.  Why did I wait so long???

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great looking grub, and looks like a great addition to your arsenal! What was the reasoning behind getting a mini if you have a small? (Not that I'm questioning it at all - "just because I like it" is all the reason one needs for any egg!)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @blind99 - I first bought the large which worked when I have company or want to do some big honkin piece of meal plus taught me the benefits of an Egg. Then I got the small to cook for me and my wife and it worked good for the most part because the small is a great little machine. I guess that the mini came because first I got my wife spoiled to the no smoke veggies on a separate egg and because of @dyal_sc @chubbs  & @mickey cooler than sh$t cooks on the mini.  My thoughts were proteins on the mini and sides on the small for the cooks when it's just the 2 of us.  At least that is the way I justified it in my head plus I just wanted one.  I think I'm really gonna dig this this little egg.  

analyze adapt overcome

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @Mattman3969 . Good on you. I am gearing up to get a mini as well. I have a large, small, and I think the mini would help out as well. We take our small rving, and a mini would allow to temperature cooks while on the road.
    Enjoy the new addition. The pics look tasty.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My exact justification for having the medium and the small. Nice looking meal @Mattman3969
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Nice!!!  Looks delicious!!  You are going to loooove the mini.  My favorite uses are for the personal sized pizzas and cooking/frying in a standard sized CI skillet.  And you're right, the fuel efficiency is crazy cool.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother I hope that you enjoy the mini as much as I do. The grub looks fantastic as always. For a all around great job and coming right out of the gate firing on all eight with the mighty mini:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Nice!!!  Looks delicious!!  You are going to loooove the mini.  My favorite uses are for the personal sized pizzas and cooking/frying in a standard sized CI skillet.  And you're right, the fuel efficiency is crazy cool.  
    I'm looking forward to some seared scallops and tuna in the CI.  I just went through my CI and I've got an 8" skillet that once the handle is removed will be perfect for the mini.  

analyze adapt overcome

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I totally get it. The large is a really versatile size and probably all I need. But for big parties an XL would be better. And for cooking for a few people it'd be great to have a pair of smaller cookers. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I went through the same progression.  Large, small and mini.  That's a great combo.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great! I have an XL, Small, and KJ Jr. I'm beginning to think I should try to trade my KJ Jr for a Mini. I hardly ever use the Jr.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    I went through the same progression.  Large, small and mini.  That's a great combo.
    I would love to see your set up.  I am struggling trying to come up with one that works. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options

DMW said:
    Looks great! I have an XL, Small, and KJ Jr. I'm beginning to think I should try to trade my KJ Jr for a Mini. I hardly ever use the Jr.
    I've not ever cooked on a KJ jr but I will tell you I'm impressed with the mini. Judging by your recent cooks you can cook on anything!!  

analyze adapt overcome