Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 new cooks for last night's party - aged carpaccio w/ Ponzu sauce; sous vide brisket w/ chimichurri

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,407
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
Hosted a party last night, served
-roast Mexican corn
-smoked cheese platter
-smoked salmon platter
-salad
-coleslaw
-naan (homemade)
-tandoori chicken (this small batch was overcooked in the tandoor, but the bulk of it was cooked juicier in the XL and L. It was fun attending all three cookers at high temp concurrently)

-stored bought gelato cake

-ice cream
-fruit platter

-pulled pork

SWMBO made these that went well:
-pani puri aka Indian water balls (store bought balls) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panipuri

-curried potato

-the 5-week aged carpaccio, my daughter did the Ponzu sauce and garnish, http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1805160/#Comment_1805160 went real well with the sushi loving crowd and no one got sick:

-first attempt at sous vide brisket, 5.5lb brisket point, lightly seasoned with S+P, garlic powder and two heaped TB of duck fat.  Submerged at 137F for 55 hours, pat dry, rested in fridge for an hour, brushed with canola oil, more S+P and seared in Large with CI grid lowered by Spider. My daughter made the chimichurri sauce with fresh mint from the garden. It was melt-in-the-mouth but not mushy, far exceeded my expectation and everyone loved it!  Definitely on my repeat list.

Still recuperating, haven't cleaned up the skewers and meat slicer yet  :)
canuckland

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's safe to say I hate you.  =)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Well played sir, well played!
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Canugghead
    Thanks @henapple and @HoustonEgger , must confess I'm too chicken to cook brisket low and slow in the egg  :)
    canuckland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Wow, wish I was in attendance for this feast!

And that's that, I have a brisket in the freezer that will be done sous vide.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Wow brother!  Wow!  Excellent!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    WOW!!!! What a spread!!

I've toyed with the idea of SV brisket, so this has been bookmarked. 

Any homes for sale in your neighborhood, Gary? I want to be your neighbor please :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Awesome!  You're my hero.
    What a feast!!!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Holy moly. All looks awesome and impressive
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,908
    Wow!  Nicely done.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • G*d D**n Canada Post!! I never got my invitation Gary. My apologies for not being there. Please think of me again next time you do one of these get togethers.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited August 2015
    Thanks everyone for the kind words, it means a lot to me coming from revered stalwarts of the asylum  :)
    canuckland
  • wonder what you thought of the carpaccio.

i think at 60 days or so i was getting a metallic tinge to it, but otherwise really beefy

haven't had it in a long time.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Canugghead
    The carpaccio was great, the sauce compliments the beefiness well.  Can't compare it to anything though since I never had carpaccio before!
    canuckland
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Man. You got down with it. I'm sure you had some happy guest. I will get a sv setup before it's all said and done. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Gary you are amazing.  Next step will be your own TV show on the Food Network. You most certainly outdid yourself and set the bar very high for all those lucky enough to be invited.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2015
    Hey Larry, good seeing you around.  Niagara fest is this Sunday, you still have time  =)
    canuckland
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,777
    Very impressive.  Well done.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX