Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggless on vacation

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So I'm visiting my in laws and don't have an egg to cook on. Two years ago when I was here I discovered a smoker that was 30 years old and hadn't been used in about 20. Last year I made some improvements. It hadn't been used since last year when I was here so it was kind of grody and had some mold so I fired it up for a clean burn.

While it was cleaning up we added a port for my PartyQ I brought with me.

Once it was cleaned I put the PartyQ on and got some ribs on.

Not too bad for not having an egg.

Next day we decided to do a shrimp boil.

This was the first time I've done a boil, won't be my last, wow was it good.

Then last night I got the smoker going again for some butts.

When they were finished I FTC'd them and went to tour Shasta Dam where my brother in law and nephew both work. That is an amazing piece of American engineering.

Went back to my nephew's place and my son had a great time with my nephew's dog after dinner.

Now just sitting out by a fire pit posting this...

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Nice work. Party-Q never leave home without it. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Great post and enjoy vacation with the family!
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Good looking grub. If your heart is set on some Q, you can usually make due with anything, if you're resourceful enough.
    Enjoy your vacation.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Looks great Dwayne, love that area, enjoy the vacation.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @DMW - More proof that it's the Indian, not the arrow.  Great adaptation and  cooks right there.  You mention Shasta-I'm guessing northern CA-what does the lake water level look like?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @DMW - More proof that it's the Indian, not the arrow.  Great adaptation and  cooks right there.  You mention Shasta-I'm guessing northern CA-what does the lake water level look like?
    Lou,

This was Tahoe just last weekend from the bluff on south shore.  In 'normal' dry years, the water is up to the change in sand color, in good years there is almost no beach.  It's always shallow at this end of the lake, but it's horrible now.  You can walk a couple of hundred yards in the water and it's only up to your knees.  I think they only had 10% of their normal snow pack.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Legume - Thanks for the pic and perspective.  I was in Norcal in the mid 70's when there was quite a drought and I read that this one is even worse.  And that was with around 15 million fewer people in the state. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Legume - Thanks for the pic and perspective.  I was in Norcal in the mid 70's when there was quite a drought and I read that this one is even worse.  And that was with around 15 million fewer people in the state. 
    It is the worst I've seen and my parents and in-laws who have all lived in Santa Clara Valley whole lives confirm this as well. FIL's well is going dry.  I remember the water rationing in the 70's, "if it's yellow, let it mellow..."  There is supposed to be a monster El Niño this year, but it will take several years to get Tahoe full again.

Sorry to hijack Dwayne.  Hopefully Shasta is in better shape.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    We went skiing in Tahoe (Northstar) in March and there was almost no snow.  We have some friends there and he was rattling off the stats, but I seem to recall it's their worst drought in about 200 years.  It sucks because that is a beautiful part of the country.

@DMW - I'm curious, did you peel those shrimp before boiling them?
    NOLA
  • DMW
    Options
    @lousubcap & @Legume - Shasta is in better shape than Tahoe for sure. They have a bunch of feeder lakes they use to keep the level of Shasta healthier, but its been real tough this year.

@buzd504 - The shrimp were raw frozen peeled deveined from the store. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    @DMW interesting, thanks.
    NOLA
  • DMW
    Options
    @buzd504 - I don't know if that's the right way or not, it was just the shrimp I grabbed from the store.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Well, those shrimp sure looked like the right way!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Mark of a professional cook right there. Doesn't matter what you have to work with, you can turn out phenomenal Q. Awesome job. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Now that is what I like. A man that can overcome adversity. No egg no problem! The cooks look great. Cute beagle as well. 

Were there any dam questions? (sorry Vegas Vacation comes to mind).  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Yep, looks like you are ready for one of those BBQ Pit Masters impromptu challenges they sometimes throw at contestants.  Very nice cook and family photos.  Those kids are really lucky to have a great father.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore