Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Non Egged Pork loin and Stuffed portabellas

Options
We're really enjoying the new convection oven when roasting/baking items.  It does a great job.  

We're eating more healthy these days and wanted something different than chicken.  Did a roasted pork loin and this was one of the best pork loins ever.  

Here's my method: 

Rubbed with dijon mustard
Make a simple rub - salt, pepper, season salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and a little apple rub (Simply Marvelous).  
Applied liberally over the loin.  Placed in fridge for a couple hours.  
Sliced one vidalia onion
Sliced one Gala apple
Seared in CI for a couple mins per side.  
Removed and added onion and apple
Seasoned onion and apple
Hit it with a little apple cider vinegar
Place pork loin back in
Roasted 375° for around an hour until 145° internal

Stuffed mushrooms...

1 cup brown rice
1 shallot
3 cloves garlic
2 portabella mushrooms
chicken stock
Parmesan cheese
4-5 asparagus 
Juice of lemon

Saute shallots, garlic, and asparagus (cut into small sticks)

Add rice and incorporate well.  Add a little chicken stock to hydrate everything well.  Add lemon juice. Add parm to tighen.  

Spoon into seasoned mushrooms (canola oil, salt, and pepper inside and out).  Top with more parm.  Cooked 375° until set and some color on top.  These things were legit!  

------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Those look great Matt. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Very nice Matt!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Very well done, looks quite appetizing. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Egged or not, it looks fantastic. I especially like those shrooms. Awesome job brother Tar :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Thanks @SGH !
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You keep showing all these convection cooks and I guess I will have to learn how to use my oven for something other than quiche or frittatas. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    You keep showing all these convection cooks and I guess I will have to learn how to use my oven for something other than quiche or frittatas. 
    On some of these cooks I've gotten lazy and not wanted to mess with the egg. The pork loin was amazing!
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @tarheelmatt   Thumbs up.  Mushrooms look like something I have to try - no money shot of the loin?
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    tarheelmatt said:
    The pork loin was amazing!
    All kidding aside, if you are not going for smoke, some great stuff can be fixed in the oven. We make some seafood in the oven that will make a fat boy act a fool. How do I know? I'm a proud fat boy ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    That looks great.
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Hey Matt that does look great...Are you taking any offers on your LBGE &MBGE ???..The convection oven is taking centre stage  ;)..Who am I to talk as I haven't posted in ages... Have a great day.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Nice. :plus_one: 
    You guys are killing me posting all the non-egged pics. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    That looks fantastic. You're not that far from us and it's miserable outside due to heat and humidity. I think you're smart to use your oven. It's not being lazy, it is self-preservation, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    blasting said:
    @tarheelmatt   Thumbs up.  Mushrooms look like something I have to try - no money shot of the loin?
    I knew someone would ask... I didn't take any pictures of the sliced loin.  We're still eating on it, so maybe I will soon!  

SGH said:
    tarheelmatt said:
    The pork loin was amazing!
    All kidding aside, if you are not going for smoke, some great stuff can be fixed in the oven. We make some seafood in the oven that will make a fat boy act a fool. How do I know? I'm a proud fat boy ;)
    It was actually as good as the Egg with a kiss of smoke.  A nice change for sure and more convenient too!

ar15203 said:
    That looks great.
    Thank you!  

Hey Matt that does look great...Are you taking any offers on your LBGE &MBGE ???..The convection oven is taking centre stage  ;)..Who am I to talk as I haven't posted in ages... Have a great day.
    Lol @johnmitchell and thanks!  No offers yet on the Eggs, but who knows!  If I do, you'll have first dibs.   The new oven is a real nice addition for sure.  Here lately time (and energy) just hasn't been on my side, especially running a 16 month old around.   

Looking forward to a post from you soon @johnmitchell

stemc33 said: Nice. :plus_one: 
    You guys are killing me posting all the non-egged pics.  Thanks Steve!  As soon as I work out my back deck situation, I'll be adding a Blackstone.  I wanna be cool!

Dredger said: That looks fantastic. You're not that far from us and it's miserable outside due to heat and humidity. I think you're smart to use your oven. It's not being lazy, it is self-preservation, lol.
    Thank you!  It sure is hot and humid lately.  The 90°+ days have far surpassed the average in our area.  I enjoy cooking, period.  Doesn't really matter what it is on.  Though I need to show some love to my Eggs soon!   
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Looking great, as always! 
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    You are killing it Matthew with your new oven. And the photography is out of this world. Nicely done, Sir.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I enjoy cooking, period.  Doesn't really matter what it is on.  Though I need to show some love to my Eggs soon!  

I showed my egg some love Sunday and it dang near killed me.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    IPASooner said:
    Looking great, as always! 
    Thanks @IPASooner !  

Griffin said: You are killing it Matthew with your new oven. And the photography is out of this world. Nicely done, Sir. Thanks @Griffin for the kind words!  
    Dredger said:
    I enjoy cooking, period.  Doesn't really matter what it is on.  Though I need to show some love to my Eggs soon!  

I showed my egg some love Sunday and it dang near killed me.

Definitely looking forward to the less humid days for sure!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'm so ready for fall. All ready sick of these 100+ degree days. More of a chore to go out and cook.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Nice Cook.   Looks like your Oven & Stovetop doing a nice job . .  but waking up in the morning to smell last nigths cook? cleaning up oil splatter?  increasing the heat in your house on a summer day?  ALSO sippin a beer in the kitchen is a far second from sipping a beer outside on your deck!  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    NDG said:
    Nice Cook.   Looks like your Oven & Stovetop doing a nice job . .  but waking up in the morning to smell last nigths cook? cleaning up oil splatter?  increasing the heat in your house on a summer day?  ALSO sippin a beer in the kitchen is a far second from sipping a beer outside on your deck!  
    Thanks!  That is true about the clean up etc, but the increasing heat in the house is not much considering if you're going in and out to the Egg.  The beer doesn't bother me too much because I don't drink.  

Mostly, I am partial to the stove because I can get food to the table quicker these days.  Don't have to stir lump, rake out ash, put more lump in, light, wait, get a little stinky from the initial lump smell, and then have to cook.  

I am a huge advocate though for the stinky house.  I really hate that aspect.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    fair enough . . I guess I just LOVE being outside!  My parents were hippies - what do you expect.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    NDG said:
    fair enough . . I guess I just LOVE being outside!  My parents were hippies - what do you expect.
    That could be a factor!  :)   I like being outside too, but man the humidity lately can be cut with knife.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site