Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-New toy...small toy

Options
ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
After reading about @SGH and nolaegghead's party I realized that @nolaegghead and I have one more thing in common other than egging. So I figured I'd post a pic.

This is from the maiden voyage of our new little 10ft Zodiac-like boat yesterday. My son loved it...we only caught a few fish, but it'll be great for small ponds and reservoirs that are too small for the Skeeter. @nolaegghead mine has an 8hp Mercury on the back.  Would love to see your setup if pics are available.

Later

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That looks like a lot of fun Kevin. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Cool. How do you like your Skeeter? Been thinking about a Skeeter bay boat for both salt and freshwater fishing. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    @dobie I have a 2006 Skeeter 180SL with a 150 Yamaha. It's their fish and ski model and we love it. Admittedly it's not the best fishing boat (small front and rear decks, not a lot of room to mount electronics etc) but it's a great all around lake boat. It holds 5 -6 adults comfortably has plenty of power and will pull skiers all day long. Plus, I just like outboards, it's what I grew up with and they are so easy to maintain. Plus the late model Yammies are bulletproof.

I LOVE Skeeter's bay boats. Looked at a few before I bought the SL. Generally speaking they are pure fishing boats so we went with comfort. I'm sure the bay boat will handle rough water better than my SL does.

Final note, I sold a Scout 175 sportfish to get the Skeeter. If you are shopping brands, take a look at the Scouts. The fit and finish is second to none. I loved that Scout as well. It was just a little small for my family. However, you do pay a premium for the Scout.

PM me if you have any other questions. Only think I love talking about more than egging is fishing and boats.

• Dobie
    Options
    Thanks, been dreaming of something like this....

Jacksonville FL
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    hoooowahhhhh. Love that @Dobie

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    There's an Everglades bay boat with a yamaha 4stroke 300 hanging off the back in an adjacent slip at the marina. I drool over it constantly. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Thanks, been dreaming of something like this....

I'm fixing to pick up a new 25' Cape Horn bay boat myself. Wife says I have to sale the Mako first. Oh well, can't win them all.  Hope you get it brother, the Skeeters are great boats. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @ksmyrl
    Looks like a great time brother. Nothing like being on the water. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    Options
    Thanks @SGH I just have to convince myself to come off the coin. Need a new tow vehicle too. $$$$$
    Jacksonville FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sweet rig!!!

Getting a 10' BP Pond Prowler with a Minn Kota 55lb thrust troller next Spring with income tax return $$$.  Set up, total should be around $1300.  Perfect for the lakes, Hennepin Canal, and strip mines around here.  Not so much for the Rock or Mississippi.  Three of my go-to campgrounds have perfect small boat lakes.

Biggest plus for me is the 600lb weight capacity.  At 290, with a rapidly growing son(100lbs just turned 8 in June), and big family, friends, I had to go with a higher weight capacity.  

Another kicker, I can pull my highwall pup with this strapped in the bed.   =)

Would be fun to throw a 650 on it and do this....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTE_luUyRXc
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Cape Horn is a nice rig @SGH
  • SGH
    Options
    Cape Horn is a nice rig @SGH
    I really like them. I really liked the Kenners as well but I don't know how they are since they changed hands. 

Dobie said:
    Thanks @SGH I just have to convince myself to come off the coin. Need a new tow vehicle too. $$$$$
    It's only money brother. You better spend it on yourself before the demos take it from you ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    My dad just got a Sea Hunt dual console. Saw it for the first time a week ago, thought it was a nice boat. This is his first boat at 70 so it should be fun, new hobby for him at least.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Dobie
    Options
    SGH said:

Dobie said:
    It's only money brother. You better spend it on yourself before the demos take it from you ;)
    I know, money in the bank is comforting but very boring. Its hard being fiscally responsible working type   ;)
    Jacksonville FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    Sweet rig!!!

Getting a 10' BP Pond Prowler with a Minn Kota 55lb thrust troller next Spring with income tax return $$$.  Set up, total should be around $1300.  Perfect for the lakes, Hennepin Canal, and strip mines around here.  Not so much for the Rock or Mississippi.  Three of my go-to campgrounds have perfect small boat lakes.

Biggest plus for me is the 600lb weight capacity.  At 290, with a rapidly growing son(100lbs just turned 8 in June), and big family, friends, I had to go with a higher weight capacity.  

Lots of huge bass in those strip mines. I used to fish some down around Sheffield. That was prior to my golf addiction problem. Looks like lots of fun in your future. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Y'all are killing me with all this boat talk!  My 13 yr old son has discovered fishing. What self respecting dad wouldn't encourage his teen aged boys hobby so that he could spend time with him?  Killing me!  Must. Have. Boat. And. Tow. Vehicle.....$$$$$
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Fortunately, north Georgia is fraught with rivers and trout streams. Maybe we can see how serious he is first.   Resist the urge....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Focker said:
    Sweet rig!!!

Getting a 10' BP Pond Prowler with a Minn Kota 55lb thrust troller next Spring with income tax return $$$.  Set up, total should be around $1300.  Perfect for the lakes, Hennepin Canal, and strip mines around here.  Not so much for the Rock or Mississippi.  
    Brandon,
    I like your ever growing toy collection!

You have a lot of useable Hennepin Canal length over your way? The part to our North isn't known for any great fishing spots to speak of. I suppose being closer to the Mississippi you have  game fish go in there for protection - am I right? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    My dad just got a Sea Hunt dual console. Saw it for the first time a week ago, thought it was a nice boat. This is his first boat at 70 so it should be fun, new hobby for him at least.
    He'll love it. I love my Sea Hunt CC
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Focker said:
    Sweet rig!!!

Lots of huge bass in those strip mines. I used to fish some down around Sheffield. That was prior to my golf addiction problem. Looks like lots of fun in your future. 
    Thanks Pete, my grandma was from Sheffield.  This will be a cheap memory maker, low maintenance(couple of 8 foot pallets from Lowe's, and tarp, on the side of my house lol)  

Had good times growing up with my dad and uncle on their boats.  Caught this guy with my uncle on his two man bass boat.   
    Love me some Bass!  =)

Brother was telling me about Cabin Fever Campground in Victoria, IL.....southwest from Sheffield.  
    On the radar for sure. 
    http://www.cabinfeveril.com/camping_illinois_campground.shtml
    Snakeden Hollow Lake is there too, a gem.  He pulled out a nice keeper muskie a few years back.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    Absolutely love it!
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @ksmyrl Yeah I just got a 9.5 Evinrude for $20.  A friend of mine gave me a 10' zodiac (like) boat.  I need to get the engine working, it looks like it's been in someone's garage for a decade.  Plan on a little redfish/spec fishing and towing it behind my Wellcraft to explore the shallows and as a shore boat.

Probably seen these, but this is my Wellcraft. I need to do some work on it, have a new 7" Lowrance HDI, stereo, compass I need to install plus the wiring needs some work.  It's functional, but like any old boat, needs some TLC.

Options
    @nolaegghead very cool. I love fishing for reds. My brother in law lives in Charleston and I go on the flats with him a few times a year. I've been meaning to get to Venice, LA for a while now to do some real red fishing. Good luck with your upgrades and your zodiac.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I just read an article about Cajun Fishing Adventures today. Catching big reds. Looked like a really good time!