Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good BBQ sauce recipe without a ton of sugar?

Options
I'm trying to find a good home made sauce that isn't loaded down with cups of sugar.   I found a good thread on here, but most of them seemed loaded with sugar.    Just curious if anyone has a good one not heavy on the sugar?    I do have one, but it is fairly heavy on vidalia onion, and while it is excellent, I don't want that flavor on everything.
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• CTegger427
    Options
    I make a tequila lime BBQ sauce that I use on ribs, very easy to make

One 6-ounce can tomato paste
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup white tequila
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
    1 tablespoon molasses
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together over medium heat and enjoy!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    these are elder wards from years ago, the second one is more like stubbs origional

The Traditional North Carolina Sauce (A) I grew up with.
    This would be from my mothers side of the family who are a bunch of flatlanders near the coast.  We only came down out of the hills to see them just enough to keep the peace in the family and my mother from running back home for good.  She hated the mountains.  We all loved her folks.

• 1 C white vinegar
    • 1 C cider vinegar
    • 1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)
    • 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)
    • 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    • 1 tsp. kosher salt
    • 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
    Makes 2 Cups

Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to shake it out a little at a time.

Western North Carolina (Piedmont) style sauce (B)

• 1 C ketchup (Hot type)
    • 1 C water (bottled plain if you have fluorinated/treated) yuck:~(
    • ¼ C apple cider vinegar
    • 1 onion chopped fine
    • 3 cloves crushed garlic or 1 clove elephant garlic from Gilroy, CA
    • 2 Tbs. brown sugar
    • 2 Tbs. molasses (How can y'all have Mo lasses if you ain't had lasses da furst time?)
    • 2 Tbs. dry mustard (Coleman's English double fine is good)
    • 1 tsp.. cayenne or one fresh cut into ringlets seeds and all.
    Simmer for twenty minutes over low heat.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Cannot go wrong with any of the NC style sauces.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NavyMatty
    Options
    Let me start off by saying that I'm not a cross fitter... but my in-laws live the "paleo diet" life---think zero processed foods, no sugar...  I don't have a good recipe per se, but would recommend a google search of some paleo bbq sauces.  I'd be willing to bet that honey or agave syrup may be the sweetener.  Just my $.02...  happy searching!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I make a tequila lime BBQ sauce that I use on ribs, very easy to make

One 6-ounce can tomato paste
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup white tequila
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
    1 tablespoon molasses
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together over medium heat and enjoy!

I know that one cup of sugar is not literally a "ton of sugar" as the OP was hoping to avoid but in that recipe it is figuratively a "ton of sugar" seeing as it is the primary ingredient there..

To the OP - as has been mentioned, any of the vinegar based sauces may be to your liking. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm trying to find a good home made sauce that isn't loaded down with cups of sugar.   I found a good thread on here, but most of them seemed loaded with sugar.    Just curious if anyone has a good one not heavy on the sugar?    I do have one, but it is fairly heavy on vidalia onion, and while it is excellent, I don't want that flavor on everything.
    What is that recipe?
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm not crazy about sugar in my sauces or dishes.  So I omit it.  Or cut way back. The stuff that gives it the other flavors is still there...just watch the salt ratio if there was a LOT of sugar in it.
    Options
    I have a Chipoltle Blueberry sauce that leverages the natural sugars of the berries....and stout beer. Traveling back east today....if interested, PM me, and will send it across this evening. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • swcham
    swcham Posts: 30
    Options
    Google Dead Guy Sauce, recipe from food52.com...I made a batch, yielded roughly 1.5 pints...liked it so much I made another batch, 7x recipe (all I could fit in 8qt pot) and got another 9 pints...reminds me, time to make another batch...wonderful with pulled pork, but surprisingly good on wings too.