Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty Problems..

I have owned my XL for just over two years now.  Four months ago I noticed a crack in the black grate in the bottom of the egg that holds up the lump.  I took it out and brought it down to my dealer to get a replacement.  They looked at it and said they would put in a claim for a new piece and I went on my way.  They called me two weeks later and said BGE needed pictures.  When I took the grate out to take pictures I noticed that my fire box was cracked, it came out in two pieces.  I took pictures of that as well and emailed them to my dealer.  Did not hear from them for a month.  I called them and they said that both pieces were on backorder.  I called again a month later and they said whoever makes these pieces for BGE had a defect in the parts and BGE rejected them.  I still have not heard any word on my replacement parts, it is very frustrating.

My dealer also told me the only parts that had a lifetime warranty were the ceramic pieces??  I was under the assumption that the entire egg had a lifetime warranty?

Has anybody experienced trouble like this when requesting replacement parts?
Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Metal parts are not lifetime.

All ceramic is.  Ask your dealer if he has an XL you can swap parts with or find another dealer.

Btw, cracked firebox is no biggie.  If it is holding together then keep on cooking.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • You have a good warranty with your Egg, you can look it over here-
    BGE Warranty link 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    As @Ozzie_Isaac said, we would likely take parts out of another egg if needed. Although, If it's just a crack, you can still use the egg for years without issue. I wouldn't sweat waiting for the parts. I would only ask for replacements from another egg if you can't cook. Sometimes the replacement parts are back ordered for a while. It has to do with where there are in production at that current time. They run certain pieces  in a series I believe. You will get your replacement ceramics, don't worry about that. Lots of people on this forum have replacements sitting in a box for years until they feel like changing the part. I hope it all works out for you in the end. Egg will honor their stuff in the end, of that I am confident. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Sounds like your dealer doesn't want to mess with it. 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have recently (6 months ago) had the fire grate on my XL replaced under warranty. I did have to send pictures.  The newer grate had more smaller holes.  Must have been a design flaw.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    jhl192 said:
     The newer grate had more smaller holes.  Must have been a design flaw.  
    They are probably trying to reduce cracking and the associated profit loss from warranty claims. 
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    My lumb grate is also cracked, been 2 months, I was also told same story.  My dealer offered to take one out but I told them I would wait unless I was unable to use it.  Still in one piece so I am waiting
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited August 2015
    When I had a warranty claim for a dome and firebox for my large, I went directly through BGE corporate and after the order was placed, it took a few weeks for the parts to arrive and they arrived a week apart. My guess is that they have them shipped to Atlanta from the plant in Mexico with the next load. 

I found it very interesting how they were packed with spray foam insulation as packing protection in huge oversized boxes. The eggs are shipped with a lot of cardboard in a tightly packed box but no real padding. I'm guessing that the difference is that eggs are handled carefully by trucking companies throughout the distribution chain whereas the individual parts are shipped by common carrier and we all know what happens in those trucks. Yet another reason eggs aren't sold online!

And FWIW, since I got a Kick Ash Basket, I no longer use the grate. Makes using a shop vac to clean ash super easy. Lift, shake, and vacuum. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited August 2015
    My fire grate ended up cracking 1.5 years ago. I emailed a year ago with pictures of the crack and played phone tag with the local BGE representative. I didn't hear anything for 6 months after leaving a message and more less forgot about it. I called the dealer and explained the story once again about how I left messages and submitted pictures but after a few times playing phone tag nothing happened with the BGE rep. The lady at my dealer explained that BGE had a new rep for the area and that the old rep was no longer handling warranty claims. (I wonder why? ;))   The dealer offered to email the BGE representative about the issue but I wanted to make sure it happened. So I emailed the new BGE rep and within 24 hours he responded back to my request. The new BGE rep goes on to tell me that I'm outside my 5 year warranty on my grate but would still get me a replacement. (Which kind of rubbed me the wrong way because I explained to him that this issue should have been resolved before my 5 year warranty ended. Don't make it sound like you bending over backwards for me when it was your crappy service that left me hanging for a year) Anyways, the BGE rep said they were back ordered and would get a replacement when they became available. Which was fine because the fire grate is still completely functional with the crack in it. So another 50+ days go by and just assume that BGE forgot about the warranty claim and me more less forgetting about the issue.  Sure sheet one day I find a package at my front door from BGE! 1.5 years later I get my new fire grate! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I have filed warranty claims for my XL fire box and base. Both have been handled quickly and easily. I have a great dealer in Birmingham.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    WeberWho? said:
    .... 1.5 years later I get my new fire grate! 
    Thats almost as long as it took them to approve my forum account!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    WeberWho? said:
    .... 1.5 years later I get my new fire grate! 
    Thats almost as long as it took them to approve my forum account!
    With good reason @Ozzie_Isaac !!!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @pgprescott lol!  I bet they are questioning the guys judgement who finally pushed"accept"