Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waiting for plate setter/deflector

Options
rmercier
rmercier Posts: 212
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
....while I wait, is an aluminum pan an adequate deflector? For some reason, it seems as though a ceramic Stone would be more efficient. An aluminum pan seems as though it would only block a flame, but not necessarily heat....or is the purpose SOLELY to divert flame?
LBGE in Northern VA

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    You are cooking indirect with a pan deflecting the heat which is the same thing the plate setter does. Im not sure how hot you can go with aluminum though. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • rmercier
    Options
    Thanks...I'll only be cooking low for a bit...should have some sort of ceramic deflector by the time I need to cook on high with a deflector
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    You can put some water in the pan also.
    Jacksonville FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I didn't have a plate setter for at least 4 months after I got my 1st Egg. Just used double thick HD foil, or pie plates, a few times old porcelain plates, all sitting at the lower grill position.

A few years ago I did a test. The main differences between the plate setter and an aluminum pie plate, empty, filled w. sand, or filled with water is that the plate setter makes it take longer to get the dome to heat (and stays that way.) Also, It gets very hot itself, while the pie pan never exceeded 250F w. a dome of 250.

So I don't use the platesetter much as a deflector, but as something to make the Egg more like a baking oven.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    you can do most lower temp cooks just by raising the grill, no platesetter needed. if i did alot of bread baking at high temps i would get one but i wouldnt get one for lower temp cooks. i do ribs raised direct, have done turkeys raised direct, have done butts raised direct etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rmercier
    Options
    Great info, thanks gents
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I know a guy who does Boston butts by raising the grid and putting the butt on a pizza stone.  He turns out some great pulled pork.   There are a lot of ways to skin a cat. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god.