Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear on Chicken Wings

Options
Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
Someone posted today that there were a couple million (or was it billion) different ways to cook chicken wings.  Thinking about what to have for lunch is long range planning since retirement came about.  So, here's my last minute, damn all we've got left in the 'fridge is wings approach.

Orange wood for smoke ... the citrus woods are excellent with chicken.  Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin for a rub on the cut up wings ... no resting in the fridge, 'cuz there's no time for that.  Temp at 350 degrees and PSWoo2 with plate setter and OEM grid.  Wings are flipped every ten minutes until IT reaches 180 degrees.  Pull the PSWoo2 unit and place the OEM grid (with the wings still on it) back in the egg down on the fire ring.  About 60 to 90 seconds per side seems to be just right for crisping up the skin without burning it.

Here are the results:

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Retired people are the busiest people I know....

good lookin' cheekin arms
  • Boltz
    Boltz Posts: 2
    Options
    I love it with the reverse sear.  I typically do a marinate over night to get the flavor in there, then use the setter legs up for an hour at 300-325.  I then open up top and bottom, and let it heat up.  With the setter still in, the heat really gives a good crisp.  Let that go for 10 minutes.  I have found no need to flip with this setting.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    I had a piece of bread and water.  Your wings look better.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Boltz said:
    I love it with the reverse sear.  I typically do a marinate over night to get the flavor in there, then use the setter legs up for an hour at 300-325.  I then open up top and bottom, and let it heat up.  With the setter still in, the heat really gives a good crisp.  Let that go for 10 minutes.  I have found no need to flip with this setting.
    @Boltz ... still playing around with the wings.  Pretty easy to experiment with just the two of us ... have to come up with a good method that will also work for company.  Will use a part of your method next time ... the leave it alone and crank up the heat part.  Thamks.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    @Jeepster47  - Good looking cook. That's pretty exactly how I cook my wings now.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS