Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

reverse sear 2" ribeye

Options
I know it's here somewhere and sorry to ask a question that's been asked before... have two ribeyes 2" cut hoping to reverse sear... just picked up digiqdx2 time and temp for slow?? Then I'm guessing ramp her up and sear for a minute or two per side above 600? Thank you in advance, (dizzy pig cow lick)

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I use kosher salt, pepper and two large pinchs of cowlick on each side.  Cooking indirect at 225 for about 35 to 40 minutes to get to 108F. Take off set aside and rest. While resting open up the egg to go nuclear. I have a smaller grate I put right on the coals then place rested meat on that grate which is now super hot to desired color.  Usually 15 seconds a side, for 3 flips.  

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    There is no magic temp for the low and slow part of the cook.  Most people go 225-275.  With steaks that thick it will probably take 20-45 minutes depending on which end of the temp spectrum you choose for that part of the cook.  Anything above 500 is good for the sear.  1 minute per side should be good. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Smokes_Up
    Smokes_Up Posts: 10
    Options
    Love this place! thanks gents 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    If you have a probe for the low and slow, use it. I like 225 myself and go to 110. Rest while the grill heats up and then sear really hot. A minute is the most you will need per side. No need to rest after the sear since it rested before. Enjoy.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I to go 225 .... 110 is too too bloody for me. I take it to 130, sear for 1 minute a side. Finished temp is a nice 135ish
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    +1^^^^^^^ 220°ish pull @110 but it will jump from 110-120° IT quick.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What foghorn and sea2ski said.  Put the digiq away.  You should never need that unless you're doing a cook that takes over an hour.
    Options
    +1  ^^^^^ What nolaegghead said !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    I may be in the minority but I go at 350° for the low and slow, takes 30 min. or so...

For the sear I get to about 700-725° and a minute each side.

My $0.02...

cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Warm up temp for me is closer to 275* dome and it still takes a half hour to 115* unless the steak has had been sitting at room temp for a long time.  For searing, i don't go by dome temp; I just look for a nice big fire and often leave the dome open during the sear.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.