Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boos Butcher Block, too good to be true

Options
I've always wanted a bad ass Boos butcher block. I've always been fascinated by cutting boards and chopping blocks. I found one local for sale of a pretty dang good size on Craigslist that is pretty old. It looks to be in good shape, but the Boos stamp seemed wrong, the 'o's tilted the opposite direction of knew Boos products. So I called Boos and talked to customer service about authenticity of this stamp. Conclusion was it was old as the stamp has gone through some slight modifications through the years and it was one of their earlier versions.

The guy was asking $500 for it, so I offered $300 cash and I'd pick it up last night on my way home from work. We haggled a bit and settled on $400. He said it was at the Ebay center he took it to to sell on Ebay so he'd have to go pick it up and I could pick it up tonight. Check in today and he still doesnt have it, but said I could get it tomorrow. I offered to pay him 450 if we could meet at the Ebay place tonight and get it, but he said that wouldn't work because its in the warehouse and might be hard to find. So he tells me he'll deliver it tomorrow (yeah right, not giving a Craigslister my address) but I tell him I can wait until tomorrow.

The longer this goes on, the longer I feel like I'm getting douped/time wasted. Something makes me believe he doesn't have it to sell. Hopefully, I end up with it, as it would make a bad ass addition to the kitchen and become a family treasure to pass down to future generations. </semi rant over> 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would drop it. Sounds sketchy. And if you keep going back to the same place (alone?) who knows what he's planning. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    If you make it back with all your body parts you'll have to post a few pics for us 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I do a lot of buying and selling on CL.  (My daughter makes her allowance and learns commerce by buying at estate sales and selling on ebay and CL)

#1 personal rule for me - if it seems sketchy, move on

There is always a next deal or buyer around the corner.

Phoenix 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Yeah.... This seems sketchy.  I had this girlfriend in college who was picking up a futon on CL.  She hadn't planned on taking anyone with her.  It's a good thing I went.  Long story short there wasn't a futon for sale.  Be careful man and take a buddy with you if you end up going to pick it up. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Life is short - a creepy stranger is just a creepy friend you haven't met yet.

Bet you could find someone to make you a pretty slick, custom cutting board for under $400...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Ask him to meet you at the police station to handle the transition. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    $400...for cutting board?  A used cutting board?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I do think it's sketchy, but I think it's a good enough deal that I'll keep texting him and see if we can meet. I've got to take a buddy with me because the damn thing will be a couple hundred pounds. I don't go anywhere without my pistol on my hip anyways. 
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • tamu2009
    Options
    Ask him to meet you at the police station to handle the transition. 
    Not a cutting board, a chopping block. These things retail for 1200+ new and they are awesome. Think chopping table you'd find in an old school butcher shop.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I highly doubt any would-be criminal would use a cutting board as bait to rip you off.

C'mon if this was a listing for a Rolex, firearm, "new in the box" iPhone, or something more mainstream, I would be wary.

But on a cutting board??  Ask 10,000 random people if they know what a Boos Board is and I bet you're lucky to get a handful (and they probably live in Central IL.)

I always take the safe route too though.  Only had people to my property on stuff that was too big for me to move (gun safe, brush hog, etc.)  I always put in the ad, "you will be under video surveillance, will have to show ID, and I will have armed off duty cop with me." 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

I highly doubt any would-be criminal would use a cutting board as bait to rip you off.

C'mon if this was a listing for a Rolex, firearm, "new in the box" iPhone, or something more mainstream, I would be wary.

But on a cutting board??  Ask 10,000 random people if they know what a Boos Board is and I bet you're lucky to get a handful (and they probably live in Central IL.)

I always take the safe route too though.  Only had people to my property on stuff that was too big for me to move (gun safe, brush hog, etc.)  I always put in the ad, "you will be under video surveillance, will have to show ID, and I will have armed off duty cop with me." 

They could be into chubby, middle aged dudes who like to cook. Can't be too careful...

then again, they'd be better off posting here for that. 
  • tamu2009
    Options
    Amen STL. That was my thought too. It's such a specialized item that I don't think it's a hoax or a wrip off, but I just get a funny feeling. I'm hoping I have good news tomorrow. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I Mexican carried a 45 when buying my camper with 5K cash on board.  Turned out the guy was in intel for the Air Force.  Took out a home equity loan, guy was nice about waiting, and even knocked off $500 for a toilet pump that ended up getting replaced for $300.  

I'd sit tight, wait for a response, solution.  Then if it doesn't feel right, walk away.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Focker said:
    I Mexican carried a 45 when buying my camper with 5K cash on board.    
    yeah, but I know you, Brandon, and you go bear hunting with a switch! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Like I said before my friend, all you gotta do is point em' out.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It really depends on the block. I have seen plenty of the old really thick ones with the wooden legs in that price range. To me it doesn't sound like a good enough of a deal to chase him down for it.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Also see this post from me a couple days ago. It's spoken for but I am pretty sure if you wait and watch you can find a much better deal unless the block you are getting is something rare. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1184587/rolling-butcher-block-for-sale-in-atl-area/p1
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    It's not uncommon for people that work in these eBay Warehouses to see items go for a high price, snap a couple pictures or take the pictures off the listing and put them on Craigslist for much less hoping someone will send them the money and they'll "ship," it to you.  It just doesn't seem like this butcher block is the guy on Craigslist to sell to me.  The stories aren't adding up.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You generally aren't taking a risk if you deal locally (whatever your travel range is) in person and use cash.  Bring a friend along or meet in a public place if you want extra insurance from crazy people.  I don't deal with people that don't give me a phone number where I can't talk to them, and I don't buy from people that have area codes outside of the local codes.

Money should be exchanged when you have the item in your possession and you're happy with it.  No wiring money, or giving a deposits, etc.

It's healthy to be skeptical, but people are weird, and good deals are to be had.
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    It's not uncommon for people that work in these eBay Warehouses to see items go for a high price, snap a couple pictures or take the pictures off the listing and put them on Craigslist for much less hoping someone will send them the money and they'll "ship," it to you.  It just doesn't seem like this butcher block is the guy on Craigslist to sell to me.  The stories aren't adding up.

That or he's playing someone else too......hoping to get more money off the other guy then have you as a backup.  Or he's hoping it sells on eBay for more.

Email him from another address, or get someone here do it.  Offer the guy the $450 and see if they get the same BS story.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I'd ask him to meet at a local Police station. Safe area for both of you. Some Police stations have started to put in designated parking spots for just such transactions. If he refuses, then walk away.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• tamu2009
    Options
    Well we met at the police station and he was very nice. We ended up talking a bit and he helped me load it up. Will post pics when I get home. 
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Great!  Glad it worked out!   Can't wait to see pics! 
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • tamu2009
    Options
  • tamu2009
    Options
    Finally got it in and set up and cleaned. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Great score. My cousins (in law) got one of these then took the legs off and built a granite countertop around it to incorporate it into the counter. Looks great either way but thought I would share a potential long term idea. Awesome find. Bet it is heavy
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tamu2009
    Options
    @chubbs, heavy doesn't describe it. it's "only" 10 inches thick and I was looking at a 16inch thick one in San Antonio and after my girlfriend and I struggled to get this one set up, I'm confident we couldn't have budged the 16 inch one. This one has to be close to 200 pounds. 

@raymont I've looked a lots of cutting boards and chopping blocks. if you get one that is solid end gain maple you'll be happy. there are plenty of manufacturers out there and lots of custom shops you can get some amazing boards from. My ex BIL got me one from a guy in North Carolina and he got to pick the boards out he wanted to go in it and he made it right there. It was pretty cool until his sister turned into a whore and he's no longer family.