Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stones

What size of pizza stones do you own for your egg? Is the pizza stone for the xl egg worth the money? 

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Yeah, it's a good one. Check into a 'Baking Steel' .. I have one, it's awesome.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Get a good thick stone.  The cheap ones from Wal Mart, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. will break.   The BGE one is good but also check the Ceramic Grill Store.  I think Tom has some as well
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • ferndchamp
    ferndchamp Posts: 152
    What size do you'll usually use?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    What size of pizza stones do you own for your egg? Is the pizza stone for the xl egg worth the money? 
    Yes and it is big and heavy.  I got one for Christmas.  It is about 5/8" to 3/4" thick and about 21' to 22" round I think.  Worth the money, just don't drop it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    IMHO you don't need a  XL stone for an XL egg. How big a pizza will you make?

Get a L stone, or better yet, a steel (multiple brands available).
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Cookinbob said:
    IMHO you don't need a  XL stone for an XL egg. How big a pizza will you make?

Get a L stone, or better yet, a steel (multiple brands available).

Agree unless you want a really big pizza.  Mine was a gift so I'm not complaining.  The 12" weights around 7 pounds so the biggest one for the XL is about 14 pounds.  Most pizzas I cook are around 12" or more so it is a good size for me.  There is a 2 level set up for the large that I have seen before that is pretty cool.   Many choices out there.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DutchMiniMax
    DutchMiniMax Posts: 129
    For sure spend some money on it, the cheap one's are very thin like half inch or something and most likely break soon. I started with a cheap one, then bought the BGE. (smallest for MM)
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!