Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggin in the Motorhome! First weekend out!

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Brought the Small egg out for our 2nd weekend in the RV, but first weekend with my egg!  It was a great weekend!!

I showed up to the park on Friday and lit the Small egg immediately and started a Butt at 375-400 for sliced pork. Next time I'll go low and slow but I was short on time. I needed the pork done by 6 and it was already 1:15 when I parked the RV. It was nearly 2 by the time the pork went on! It still came out great. The middle of the butt didn't get quite tender enough, but we make some pretty amazing sandwiches anyhow.

The next day my Mother in law came over and we did a chicken and some ABTs! Made some beans and corn to go with the meat.

Heading to the same campground this weekend! Hoping to meet up with @SGH and @nolaegghead for some shenanigans on Saturday. Will definitely have the small egg in tow!
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Man I'm jealous.  Looks great.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The food looks awesome!  I haven't ever tried slicing pork butt like that. The smoke ring is impressive.  

How did you handle transporting the small?  Did it ride on the hitch carrier in the last pic? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Nice egging spot!
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The food looks awesome!  I haven't ever tried slicing pork butt like that. The smoke ring is impressive.  

How did you handle transporting the small?  Did it ride on the hitch carrier in the last pic? 
    I took all the pieces and put those into the storage unit over the wheels and set the bare Egg in the carten on top of a piece of styrofoam on top of that Hitch carrier. I ratchet strapped it with the top open then closed the top and bungied the top down to the Egg carten so nothing could bounce around. It seemed to work really well.

On the sliced butt. I'm ABSOLUTELY doing it again. It was really really good. But it needed to go slower. The outer 4-5 inches was great. Didn't pull but had that super tender feel. The core of the butt was dry. I think because it's so close to the walls in that small and the high temp it just didn't get cooked enough in the center before the outside was done. (this isn't an issue with pulled pork because you can just cook the outer to a higher number with no fear)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Looks like a great time! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Hoping to meet up with @SGH and @nolaegghead for some shenanigans on Saturday. 
    Looking forward to it brother grim. You know, shenanigans is one of my very favorites ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    That's some sweet entertainment with the RV and egg!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Are you camping at Pontchartrain Landing in New Orleans?
    New Orleans LA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks awesome.  Now I want baked beans.  
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    Are you camping at Pontchartrain Landing in New Orleans?
    Yep. Headed back there again this weekend. Can't beat it for the money. With my Passport america discount the marina front spot is only $87 total for 2 nights.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks like good times!

Not to put a damper on it, but a caution though... be careful where you store the egg after you think the fire's out. I've posted this before, but better safe than...

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/pages/communications/co/grill.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    That chicken looks amazing... Awesome color.
  • EggNashville
    EggNashville Posts: 243
    Options
    Looks great!

can I still find those egg cartons around somewhere?  My mini would look nice in one of those guys this football season!
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Wow sounds like a great time and the grub looks good. Your new RV is already making life good. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm jealous. Enjoy the fruits of your success. . 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Guessing you don't have children. They take up all my money and time (in a good way). 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    What a beautiful little girl. All your time and money until they turn 18.....then they get expensive. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dude, I'm so jealous. I would love to tool around in an RV and be eggin' away.

What IT did you cook the butt to? I like to slice butts like that sometimes. I take it up to 155ish and then slice after a rest. 

And you're lil cutie is a real sweetheart! :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You all are truly living. That's the idea, right? Memories you and yours will enjoy for a lifetime. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy   Your daughter is cute as a button - enjoy her and congrats.
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Grub looks awesome.  Glad you figured out a way to transport the small.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    caliking said:
    Dude, I'm so jealous. I would love to tool around in an RV and be eggin' away.

What IT did you cook the butt to? I like to slice butts like that sometimes. I take it up to 155ish and then slice after a rest. 

And you're lil cutie is a real sweetheart! :) 
    I pulled it at 180ish. I was trying to get it as close to pulled pork as possible and still be able to slice it. I'm going to try it again in the XL and at 250-275. 

Thank you so much. We feel very very lucky to be able to make family memories in a RV!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Sooo jealous of that rv. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

I took all the pieces and put those into the storage unit over the wheels and set the bare Egg in the carten on top of a piece of styrofoam on top of that Hitch carrier. I ratchet strapped it with the top open then closed the top and bungied the top down to the Egg carten so nothing could bounce around. It seemed to work really well.

On the sliced butt. I'm ABSOLUTELY doing it again. It was really really good. But it needed to go slower. The outer 4-5 inches was great. Didn't pull but had that super tender feel. The core of the butt was dry. I think because it's so close to the walls in that small and the high temp it just didn't get cooked enough in the center before the outside was done. (this isn't an issue with pulled pork because you can just cook the outer to a higher number with no fear)

Instead of removing the innards for every transport, I use some wood shims to keep it from shifting.  May save you some valuable storage real estate and time.  Have had zero issues travelling like this .  This pic was taken before leaving GA and going through the Appalachians back to IL.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I throw the mm in the back of the suv just like it sits. Been 280 mile round trip in the back of a pick up and 1200 round trip in the back of an suv. No issues...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I actually have a new baby girl! Just hit 3 months old! That was the major catalyst that lead us to wanting a RV.

Awesome brother. This little fellow easily earns the double seal of approval. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.