Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Working on first pork butt... Temperature question

n00b
n00b Posts: 35
Working on my first butt. Warming up the egg and can't seem to get the temp from rising. I have the vents almost basically closed. Maybe 3/8" on the bottom and half inch on the smokewear chimney cap. Can I close these off more without running the risk of snuffing the coals?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I don't know your target dome temp but I would offer to stabilize around 260-280*f on the dome.  And the dome thermo is calibrated?...With the above target temp you should be at around 1/4" or less on the bottom and I have no clue about the smoke ware cap-but try to match the air flow volume from the intake (aka bottom).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    try to keep the lid closed too.  If you're peeking too often, you're just letting in a blast of more oxygen to feed the fire.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Gotta agree with the Cap on this one.  I don't have the SW cap but those sound like wide gaps for a low n slow.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.