Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat thermometer

Options
I'm wanting to get a meat thermometer. I don't really know a whole lot about them since I still use the old school kind where you stick it in and wait for the hand to stop. I know a lot of people talk about thermapens. But I'm wondering about on that you can just put the probe in and leave it. Or do I really need both? What do yall think?
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Get a backlight thermopen. Buying quality only stings once. 
  • GradeALarge
    Options
    Thermapens are very good.  A bit expensive but worth it. Instant read is good for checking internal temps quickly.  Bunch of different colors … a blue green colored one on sale now.  Can't leave it in the food while cooking though.  
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Everyone here will recommend a Thermopen (from what I read, the backlight may drain the battery quicker) or a Thermopop (more budget friendly) for an instant read. For a probe to leave in while cooking, you can look into a iGrill 2 or a Maverick. 
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    +1 on thermopen
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Gdhoosier
    Gdhoosier Posts: 17
    Options
    I have always used a Maverick probe for both smoking and grilling and have preferred it, as I don't want to pierce the meat after putting it on the grill and having the juices drain out (particularly with grilling).  Seems like lots of folks like the instant read thermometers like Thermopen - when do folks recommend using a Thermopen versus a probe?
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I would start with a fast instant like ThermoPop or Thermapen first. I use a ThermoPop and love it. It gets more use than any other accessory.  I use an iGrill 2, but not that often. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Gdhoosier said:
    ... when do folks recommend using a Thermopen versus a probe?
    An instant read thermometer provides a great compliment to a Maverick/iGrill temp probe.  When the Maverick says it's ready to pull, a few pokes with the instant read verifies it.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    +1 on Thermopen... We use both on the egg and in the kitchen all the time. You will not over or undercook anymore
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SteelCitySmoke814
    Options
    +1 on Thermapen
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    +1 on the Thermopen.  Great addition to my BBQ armory. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I think it depends on what kind of cooking you do.  If you do a lot of low and slow you may find yourself popping the lid a lot to check meat temp with a thermapen.  I find a Maverick or IGrill type more useful. Depends on what you cook as to what to get first.
    New Orleans LA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I disagree, no question an instant read thermometer is the first thermometer I'd buy. I say instant read, but I went with a thermopop myself and love it. As a few have mentioned you will be able to use the instant read on more than just the egg,  my wife uses it when she cooks. 

I see it about once a month when a new egger asks which accessories are must have and to me an instant read thermometer, a maverick and a way to go indirect are my 3 must haves. 
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I'm thinking I'm going to go with a thermopop and a maverick et-733.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    leemschu said:
    Good choice.  I have both a thermopen and a thermopop and they are both great.  I also use the Maverick 733 on low and slow cooks and it has worked very well for me.  The thermopop didn't exist when I bought the thermopen but I bought the pop as a spare and use it indoors at the moment.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    leemschu said:
    +1
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options

According to your post, you want to be able to measure the temp during the cook so I would suggest the Maverick as once inserted you do not have to open the Egg to determine the temperature. This is also making the assumption that your cook is a larger portion being done indirect over a period of time and not something like a steak or hamburger in a direct cook. I do not recommend probes to be in the meat on direct cooks as the insulation will be destroyed by direct exposure to the burning coal bed. With an indirect cook route the wires over the leg of a platesetter to protect them from direct radiation of the fire. On raised direct the wires can be shielded with HD foil if needed.  It is always good to have a verification from the Thermopen/Thermopop before removing protein from the Egg when using a Maverick type device as they can be somewhat inaccurate. Ultimately you will likely have both as most of us do as they complement each other well and serve different purposes. If you do not require wireless, Thermoworks makes some very fine units that will monitor extended cooks also and are far more accurate than the Maverick. On indirect cooks I monitor with a Maverick and confirm finish with a Thermapen.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited July 2015
    Options
    leemschu said:

Excellent choice. You will have both areas covered.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just got a Maverick T-732 for $50 off of ebay, can't wait
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • leemschu
    Options
    rmercier said:
    I just got a Maverick T-732 for $50 off of ebay, can't wait
    Nice. Gotta love a good deal from EBay. I get a lot for stuff from there. Sell some too.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think it is nice to have both an instant read (like a Thermapen or a Thermopop) and a leave in thermometer (like a maverick).  As noted above they are for different kinds of cooking.  Use the leave in for big hunks of meat like butts, roast, turkey, etc.  Use the instant read for steaks, chops, chicken parts, etc.  

If I could only have one I would start with an instant read.  If you are cooking butts or a turkey you can always open the egg and check the temp with an instant read.   A leave-in like a maverick is pretty much useless on steaks, chops, chicken breast, etc because it is too slow and you have to have a big hunk of meat to get an accurate reading. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ...   A leave-in like a maverick is pretty much useless on steaks, chops, chicken breast, etc because it is too slow and you have to have a big hunk of meat to get an accurate reading. 
    @SmokeyPitt ... we agree on some, but not all of your points.  Steaks at our house are usually at or above 1.75 inches thick.  I use my Maverick to monitor the IT to pull at the right temp for the medium-rare we like.  When the Maverick says 120 degrees, I pull the PSWoo2, plate setter, food grid, and steak as a unit.  Then open up the top and bottom vents on the egg ... usually hits 600 degrees in five minutes (plus or minus a couple).  During the heat up time, the Maverick reports that the temp coasts up to around 130 degrees.  Remove the Maverick probe at that time and a 60 to 90 second sear on another food grid down on the spider completes the process.

Two bone chops get a similar treatment.  Chicken breasts I haven't tried with the Maverick.  Early on I used the Maverick with spatch cocked chickens until I understood the timing a little better ... now I'm too lazy and it's not that critical with the whole chicken.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    I'm a big Thermapen proponent. I also have a Maverick. Before I had either, I thought that being able to keep up with my temperatures remotely would be way more valuable. So I got the Maverick long before I got the Thermapen, and I thought the Maverick would be much more useful. I can't really pinpoint why this is, but the Maverick in hindsight hasn't been that useful to me. In fact, I'd say it's not worth the trouble of setting it up, much less the expense of buying it. I haven't used it in well over a year (including lots of long, low-and-slow cooks), while I use my Thermapen virtually every single cook. Lots of other people like the Maverick and have different opinions about it than I do. That's fine. And again, I can't really logically explain why I find it so useless. On the surface, it just seems so much cooler than a Thermapen. But in practice, I just don't use it. For example, I did a 12-hour brisket cook overnight on Saturday/Sunday, and not once did it even cross my mind to pull out the Maverick. But the Thermapen was a key part of the cook.

(No opinion on Thermapop versus Thermapen. I've never used the former.)
  • leemschu
    Options
    Just ordered a thermopop!
    Dyersburg, TN