Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken

I tried my first spatchcock chicken today.    Hot dang that's a good way to go.   Started out with a chicken with some bbq rub along with a little Tony Chacher's.     Run the egg up to 375 with a couple chunks of apple and 1 chunk of hickory.   Cooked the bird raised direct for about 1.5 hours.    Added some sliced Yukon Golds with onion and butter about half way through.  A few Dogfish 60 Minute IPAs to complete the cook.  
Woodbury, MN.   LBGE, Weber gasser, ECB

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Bird looks terrific - and the view is something else!
    Phoenix 
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Beautiful color on that chicken! 

Thanks for posting pics and your times and temps.
  • Okay, I'll say it.  Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    This looks delicious.  How large were the wood chunks?  I ask, because unless I marinate the chicken heavily, smoke from more than one fist sized chunk of wood seems to over power the rest of the flavors. I have used hickory with fruits on other proteins, but chicken seems to be less forgiving.
    i also love the potatoes with onions. That just looks awesome. Great cook, and nice place.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Tbla
    Tbla Posts: 57
    Chunks were about 3" chunks.   Had a good smokey flavor.  Not sure if I needed two woods....   Just experimenting a little.   The Chachers added a little bit of heat as well.    
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Looks great!

How big was your brid? 1 1/2 hrs at 375^ seems like an awfully long cook. I normally do a 2-3lb bird in half that time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    First let me say your backyard is awesome. That does seem a little long on the cook, did you temp the bird? The color from the smoke is nice too. I see your guard dog was on duty providing egg protection services.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Tbla
    I went a little long due to timing of everyone arriving for dinner.  I pushed the bird to the cooler side when I put the potatoes on.   Temped the bird at end.   About 190 in thigh and 175 in breast.  It was also still pretty cold from thawing out.     All in all - was very tender and tasted great.  Guard dog missed out though.  
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Looks great, I have a Tbone I am going to cook tonight.  Thanks to your post I am gonna go in town and get some potatoes and cook this way, they look great!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Tbla
    I forgot to check size of bird - but average size.     Next time I will plan a little shorter cook.   
  • Tbla
    @EGGjimh.   We have  done potatoes many ways.  I like to add more peppers.  SWMBO likes less.   Next time I am adding bacon.   I put them in a tin pan - and toss them a couple times during cook to keep them from sticking.   
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Home run! That egg area is the bomb! If you can get another level of cooking space and put the potatoes under the chicken you won't be disappointed. Thanks for sharing. Cute pup too
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Great looking bird.... Great color
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"