Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron PS

Options
Giving my daughter my LBGE and replacing it with an XL (giving me two XLs and a MBGE.  Please recommend a brand of cast iron plate setter for the new XL.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Cant...
    Too much maintenance compared with just using a stone or even the Platesetter... ( can't believe I said that...lol!)  for that matter!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Chubby said:
    Cant...
    Too much maintenance compared with just using a stone or even the Platesetter... ( can't believe I said that...lol!)  for that matter!
    Kind of messy pan searing a steak on a ceramic stone, also I have been nursing along a cracked ceramic PS for over a year now.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Found this:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/ibcps/castironps.htm

buy the 24" Cast Iron Plate Setter from Amazon 

Reviews are not great on Amazon.  2 people mentioned it fits too tight.  One say it cracked the egg.  

I would contact the manufacturer before I dropped 2 hundo on it:
    http://www.innovationsbychance.com

You might also find a local retailer.  I imagine Amazon has some shipping cost built into that price. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Chubby said:
    Cant...
    Kind of messy pan searing a steak on a ceramic stone, also I have been nursing along a cracked ceramic PS for over a year now.
    I  (and a lot of others here) know what you mean about the platesetter! maybe it's time to go the ceramic grill store route and get a spider and a pizza stone for a lot less than that cast iron piece.

As far as searing your steak.... why not grab one of the 15 inch Lodge cast iron pans and be done with it?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hey Doc, Google Paragon Casual plate setter ... that should give you several  places to peruse.  Click on "Innovations by Chance" and look at their retailer list ... there might be someone close.  Smokeware doesn't show up, but they sell one for the M, L, and XL.  Good luck ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Hey @Doc_Eggerton I met Jan at Wassi's yesterday.   She said to tell you Hi
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I just talked to her.  Buying a new XL sometime in the next month.  The current Wassi deal on an XL is only $100 higher than the first one I bought from her many years ago.  They have the best deals.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I just talked to her.  Buying a new XL sometime in the next month.  The current Wassi deal on an XL is only $100 higher than the first one I bought from her many years ago.  They have the best deals.

I always wanted to go by there.  Yesterday I was working in Miami in the morning and needed to be in Jacksonville for a meeting today.  I noticed they were only a mile off 95 so I stopped in and left with a Kick Ash Basket and two prime ribeyes that I cooked on a friends egg last night.  Great place.  Better than expected.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95