Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF shoulder

Options
Anyone have experience with a SRF shoulder cook? I was planning to cook somewhere around 230-250 degrees. The shoulder is roughly 14 lbs. I was thinking 1.5 hrs per lb max, but at 14 lbs I worry it may finish too early. If I start later I could always foil/increase temp to have more control over finish time. I plan to ftc up to 4-5 hrs if needed. Thanks for the help. I'll post some pics when done. 

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Nope. I assume it is like a butt. When I need to extend a cook like this, I start at 225 overnight and then bump to 250 the next morning.  This will get me into the late afternoon for a nice pull and rest.  Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Question,  is it bone in? 
  • SonomaSmoke
    Options
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This one? 

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/kurobuta-bone-in-shoulder.html

Looks like a whole pork shoulder (the butt and picnic).  I think I would cook it just like a butt, but I think I would start probing at 180-185 and pull it when it probes like butter.  I suspect it may not need to go up to 195-200 but that is just a guess.  @20stone recently cooked a berkie collar so he might have some input. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I do not have any experience cooking anything SRF but based on what I have read on here about the way the briskets cook, it might be done at a lower temp and cook faster than a "normal" butt.  I would start probing around 180-185 until it feels like buttah.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SonomaSmoke
    Options
    That's the one @SmokeyPitt. I thought I recall seeing these don't take as long. I have a party at 4 tomorrow and fear it being done at 9 a.m. or so if I plan for 1.5 per lb.
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Yeah that is a tough one on timing.  Considering the shape of this cut I wouldn't expect it would take 1.5 hours per lb.  I noticed one of the reviews mentioned they smoked it for 18 hours at 190 but they didn't mention the cook temp. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    That's the one @SmokeyPitt. I thought I recall seeing these don't take as long. I have a party at 4 tomorrow and fear it being done at 9 a.m. or so if I plan for 1.5 per lb.
    If its done early wrap in foil, towels, and place in a cooler (pre-warmed).  Pork will hold for hours no problem.  Some of the best pork I have had was FTC'd for 5+ hours.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SonomaSmoke
    Options
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    You may want to check to make sure that the "Ham" portion o of that shoulder doesn't get done a bit before the butt.
    That has been my experience more than once!
    As a side note everything I've gotten from SRF... been top notch!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Results??

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SonomaSmoke
    Options
    Sorry forgot to do the following up :) the cook went 18 hrs. Had dome temp around 240 for 16 hrs then increased to 275 and 300 the last 2 hrs. It finish just in time to get the family ready for the party. I was in such a hurry that I was only able to get one pic right before pulling. After pulling I went on a 20 min pontoon ride with about a third of the party. I came back to an empty tray! 14 lbs devoured in 20 mins! I heard a few "best I've ever had in my life" and "to die fors". A cousin I rarely talked to came and sat down and asked what my secret was. Needless to say I had a big smile on my face for a couple hours. Bad part was I only had a few bites while pulling. I can't wait for my next SRF cook. Side note... UPS delivered the meat to the wrong house on the hottest day of the year. Sat outside for a couple hours. I let SRF know about the situation and was blown away with how great there customer service was. I was told if at any point I felt the meat was not ok they would over night a new one. The meat was fine though.
  • SonomaSmoke
    Options
    Pulled when it hit 190 and FTC for roughly an hour 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Wish it was accidentally sent to my house  =)
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for the follow-up  =) 
    Looks amazing. Been on the fence about ordering one and think tis just may push me to do so. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    Glad to hear it worked out for you, sounds delish! 
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    That looks great.  Too bad you didn't get to eat more.  You learned an important lesson: don't leave a houseful of people alone with with Berkshire pulled pork!