Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

iGrill2

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
Does anyone have experience with the iGrill2?  I bought the original iGrill years ago when it first came out and it sucked.  Just wondering if it has improved at all?  

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Does anyone have experience with the iGrill2?  I bought the original iGrill years ago when it first came out and it sucked.  Just wondering if it has improved at all?  
    I have the igrill2. But I can't offer any input as I haven't got to use it yet. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have an iGrill2. Can't compare to the old version, but I am satisfied with the current version. In six months of use, one probe went bad. The iGrill folks promptly replaced it. Bluetooth range can be an issue for some. Signal makes it through one outside wall at my house just fine. Doesn't make it through two outside walls though (I can't get a signal in my front yard when the egg is in the back yard).  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Was it more the Bluetooth that was a problem with your igrill device?  I run 2 of the igrill single probe devices for my typical cooks.  I keep an ipad mini in the kitchen or living room that are just off the deck with no problem at all.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Yes, the connectivity with the Bluetooth was the main issue.  It would be a shotty connection even if I was standing right beside it.  I could never get it to sustain the connection without having to constantly restart it.  
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I have the iGrill2 and bluetooth connection is no issue for me .. My BGE sits on my covered patio and I have one sliding glass door when I am in the family room or if I take my iPhone/iPad to the bedroom, there is only one door in between. Our house is fairly open like any other FL houses, so not many walls in between rooms. I love the 4 probe usage for checking on multiple cooks.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

I cooked at an eggfest and the guy next to me had one.  He loved the ability to look at his phone and see his temps.  He had two probes running, grid and meat.

However, he was never more than 30 feet from his Egg, and it was all outside with no walls to get between him and his Bluetooth signal.

But, when connected it was really sweet!

Clinton, Iowa
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I've been extremely happy with my iGrill, first version, will likely be adding iGrill2 to my toolbox.  Bluetooth reception is actually pretty good out to about 30 feet for me.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    I may give it a shot then.  Thx guys!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Make sure you run the software updates thru the application on your phone/ipad/whatever.  It will update the software/firmware and that usually makes a big difference in the connectivity.

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• n00b
    n00b Posts: 35
    Options
    Is there a clip for the ambient probe included?
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

You have to buy the ambient probe separately.  But, when you buy it, it shows it comes with the clip. 

http://store.idevicesinc.com/igrill2-igrill-mini-pro-ambient-temperature-probe/

Clinton, Iowa
  • n00b
    n00b Posts: 35
    Options
    Langner91 said:

You have to buy the ambient probe separately.  But, when you buy it, it shows it comes with the clip. 

are there any alternatives to the clip that would be available at a home depot or the like?
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @n00b , I've used potatoes in the past. Just stick the probe all the way through and place the potato on the grate.  
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    A wad of aluminum foil stuck in the grate that sticks up about an inch and ram the temp probe thru it.....  Simple and cheap!

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    @n00b , I've used potatoes in the past. Just stick the probe all the way through and place the potato on the grate.  
    I saw a "BBQ with Franklin" video where he stuck the probe through half an onion and set it on the cooking grate.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Mine works for what I needed it to do. My Egg is about 25ft from the house and I have frequent disconnects. When it disconnects I get a dotted line on the graph and when it reconnects it's solid. I don't have to restart the graph.  The food probes work great. I use the ambient probe but I think the food temps effect the reading. Unfortunately to keep the probe indirect it gets close to the food. Sometimes my probe will alarm low and when I go check the dome its rocking right along where it should be. 

Ideally, I'd like a WiFi devices that a router could pick up. my WiFi range at my house goes out pretty far. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    n00b said:
    Langner91 said:

are there any alternatives to the clip that would be available at a home depot or the like?
    I'm a little confused. Are you talking about using one of the food probes to monitor the ambient temp?

If you order the additional ambient temp probe, it comes with a clip. If you lose the clip, the methods above seem like great ideas to attach/place the probe. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Check Lowes for clearance on these. I picked one up for $30.00 this spring.

I agree the range is kind of weak but if you have an AppleWatch, you can work around this with the grill watch app as long is it is on the same wifi network as your phone.

I leave my phone close to the iGrill2 and then can check the temps from my watch anywhere in the house/yard.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Being an IT idiot, I've got to ask.  I have a number of old android smart phones, with wifi and bluetooth capability, laying around.  Can one of them be used as a translator to grab the iGrill's info via bluetooth and transmit it to the wifi network?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    @Jeepster47 - Nope.  Don't think it can work that way.  I've heard of someone using an internet video camera set up and then pointed the webcam at the old phone and logged in remotely to watch the webcam.....

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    I've got the iGrill2 and can agree that the range is a bit spotty - but that's small peanuts in my opinion. I didn't buy it expecting to go across the street and still get reception - i bought it for the constant monitoring, the graphs & data reporting (nerd) and the alarm. Mine can go through 3-4 walls and still get a signal though
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I have the igrill 1 and I like it a lot.  I've never had any problems with it.  The only thing is that my Bluetooth range isn't the best.  However wifi doesn't make it through my house well either no matter what router I use.  i have a friend with the igrill 2 and he only has positive things to say about it. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god.