Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Busy weekend for the Eggs

Options
Monty77
Monty77 Posts: 667
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
This past weekend was another busy weekend for my Eggs, 

I started out Friday night with a new record for brisket on my large, 24 lbs trimmed!  I had to get creative an use some bricks from around the house just to get the height I needed for the second tier.  I used one of the top grids from my three tier to get the second level just right so that the dome would close.  Briskets had been trimmed Thursday afternoon and then injected with John Henry Brisket Marinade, then they soaked in the marinade for 24 hours.  I pulled them out Friday around 5:30, coated with mustard and John Henry Texas Brisket rub while the egg got up to temp, (225*).  Had some big chunks of pecan and hickory along for this journey.  Briskets went on at 7 pm, and cooked for 20 hours in total.  Once they probed like buttah, I FTC'd for a few hours while the pool party was happening, served up both around 5:30 pm.  Both briskets were really tender and moist, with good flavours.  I assume they were enjoyed as I had only 4 lbs remaining by 7pm.  

Here they are coming off at the 20 hour mark, sorry there was no sliced shots this time, got pretty hectic feeding 35-40.  

So what could be better than 20 hour low n slow brisket.... Perhaps some 20 hour brisket chilli with burnt ends and carvings of the flat...  I knew it had to be done.  

So I fired up the large again on Sunday afternoon, gave it a good cleaning cause it needed it!  Got the egg stable at 325*, and put the dutch oven on the egg.  I cooked up a pound of butcher bacon in the bottom of the dutch oven, and then used the bacon grease as my base for the chilli, (note, this is not a heart smart recipe).  I then had added some browned up ground beef along with the bacon and brisket, and some fresh garlic and basil.  I also added diced and halved tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans, mixed beans, green and orange peppers, chopped onion, chilli peppers, chilli flakes, and fresh cracked black pepper.  The chilli was covered and it cooked for 4 hours at the 325 stirring every hour.  The last 30 minutes I cooked uncovered with a chunk of hickory to add some smoke and then removed to rest.  

After smelling this for the past few hours I had to try it out and it did not disappoint.  I took some over to my neighbours for a couple more opinions and the feedback was excellent.  

Don't worry if you are thinking, what about the MM.  It got a fair share of work as well.  During the Friday night brisket launch, the Mini Max cooked up some chicken kabobs coated in honey BBQ sauce and they were enjoyed over a bed of rice.  

Saturday the MM cooked up 24 ball park dogs for the kids, sorry no pics, but I figure most have seen a cooked hot dog.  For my lunch Sunday, I have always enjoyed a Wendy's spicy chicken snack wrap, so I decided to create my own.  I started by using some sliced chicken breast, breaded and cooked for 45 minutes at 350* indirect.  Removed and tossed with a Franks buffalo & butter mix and then back on the egg for another 10 minutes.  Cooked up some thick cut butcher bacon while I cut large white tortilla shells in half and toasted on the grill lightly to warm, spread some ranch dressing, added the chicken, the bacon strips, lettuce, diced tomato and cheese.  Pretty close the original and quite tasty!  

Sorry about the lengthy post, it was a great weekend around the yard.  and Yes, I did go back to work today for a rest!  We had high 80's sunny weather here all weekend with the most disgusting humidity, made the beers go down quite easily.  

Happy Eggin All!   
Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments