Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dual Function Metal Tops...

Options
ToddB
ToddB Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello gang :)[p]Quick question: What is the Dual Function Metal Top made from? Mine is slightly rusting - which makes me think its cast iron. Any reason that this isn't made of Stainless Steel?[p]Many thanks,[p]ToddB
Ottawa, CANADA

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    ToddB,
    YEP!!! It is cast. Probably cheaper to make being cast. It works great and if you use it, the rust will go away. Each time I finish cooking, I put the ceramic top on and put the daisy in the egg. The heat will help keep it from buildup and not rust as much.In the past two years, I have yet to see any rust on mine. [p]Jerry

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    ToddB, it is simple cast iron and yes it will get a superficial layer of non-damaging rust. Cleaning can be by burning or oiling or oven clearner or ammonia. While I'm no metallurgist I bet the cost of a stainless steel daisey would make it expensive - besides - and here I go way out on the dum-dum limb - but isn't stainless steel flat rolled and not a casting type metal?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    RRP, It can be cast into any number of things, boat cleats, air and water valves, stuff like that. But as you said, expensive as all get out.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    sigmore,
    I figured it stood to reason because stainless is an alloy of iron, chromium and oftentime nickel or manganese vs just cheap cast iron. Surely even the casting process and heat would add cost. For two summers during college I worked in a foundry where my job was cutting the molded pieces from the gates. The foundry dealt in copper, brass and aluminum and were being melted and poured 24/7 just 30 feet behind me. Those two summers of hot and hard work convinced me even more so why I wanted a college education so as to use my brain vs my body to make a living!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • clausenk
    clausenk Posts: 93
    Options
    sigmore,[p]Chinese stainless is really cheap these days.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    i have a slide top that is about 25 years old (original from pachinko) works fine has minimal surface rust on outside, seasoned inside. never use the original ceramic top or cover/protect the slide top in any way.

• BYC39
    BYC39 Posts: 94
    Options
    jwitheld,[p]Same here....I still prefer my older slide top over the daisy wheel top that I wasted money on...[p]Regards,[p]BYC

• ToddB
    ToddB Posts: 26
    Options
    BYC39,[p]What does the old slide-top look like? Anyone have a pic? :)[p]Many thanks for the expertise!
  • BYC39
    BYC39 Posts: 94
    Options
    ToddB,[p]I'll post a pic this afternoon but essentially the same as the newer daisy wheel top without the multi function daisy wheel smaller attachment on top. To me serves exactly the same purpose but just less moving parts to have to fool with. These simple slide tops were originally offered with the older clay terra cotta colored eggs, which I now use as planters