Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers!

Options
1/3 pound 80/20 sprinkled with Cow Lick and grilled direct to 145 IT on a toasted Hawaiian Bun with mayo sweet onion and tomato for me served with a salad.
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Give anything for one now.  Stuck in traffic 20 miles from hotel after 600 miles today. Damn those look good. Ever try onion rolls?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Toasted buns make all the difference to me!  Great job man!  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    They look real good!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I love a burger cooked on the egg. Simple, but oh so good. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Now I wish I had a burger to go with those fries I was wishing for...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I love a burger cooked on the egg. Simple, but oh so good. 
    Agreed. I love me a grilled burger or five. They are truly one of my favorites. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Grillmagic
    Great looking burgers my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looking good!  The ang-L brackets on the XL look really handy when doing a cook like this.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Looking good!  The ang-L brackets on the XL look really handy when doing a cook like this.  
    I use them all the time for cooks like this, Love the XL
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    Lawd have mercy...I could go for a burger.  Looks awesome. 
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @SGH do you ever cook 1-2 burgers on your Mini? 

Burgers + searing has me interested in the Mini....
  • SGH
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    @SGH do you ever cook 1-2 burgers on your Mini? 

Burgers + searing has me interested in the Mini....
    I absolutely do. I usually start my burgers on the large egg indirect at a low temp to pick up some smoke and then finish them on the mini with a high temp direct sear. I do small steaks this same way just about every morning for breakfast. It works like a charm. 

Status- Standing by.

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @SGH. So kind of like a reverse sear for burgers?  Interesting technique man.  What temp do you start them with on the large? 250-300?  I've honestly never thought of reverse searing burgers!  Learn something new everyday! Btw those steaks don't look that small to me.  Especially when you are talking about eating two for breakfast! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH. So kind of like a reverse sear for burgers?  Interesting technique man.  What temp do you start them with on the large? 250-300?  I've honestly never thought of reverse searing burgers!  Learn something new everyday! Btw those steaks don't look that small to me.  Especially when you are talking about eating two for breakfast! 
    Yes sir, basically a reverse sear for burgers. Ground beef cooks extremely fast so I run them indirect at between 200-225 degrees to give them a little time to pick up some smoke. Ground beef is almost magical when smoked heavy with pecan. A boring everyday burger becomes a real treat. As far as those steaks, I honestly prefer to eat them four at a time (they come in a 4 pack) so why not. I have been trying to cut down on my eating a little as of late because I'm getting pretty out of shape. But it's really hard. Eating is my favorite hobby by any measure. 

Status- Standing by.

• Sweet100s
    Options
    @SGH
    I absolutely do. I usually start my burgers on the large egg indirect at a low temp to pick up some smoke and then finish them on the mini with a high temp direct sear. I do small steaks this same way just about every morning for breakfast. It works like a charm. 
    Dang.   I want a mini...

You use both the Large and the Mini in this process because...
     -  It's more time effective?  (while the large is smoking at low temps, the mini is coming up to Inferno temps?)
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    @SGH
    Dang.   I want a mini...

-  It's more time effective?  (while the large is smoking at low temps, the mini is coming up to Inferno temps?)
    Because it takes two Kamados and 3 offsets for him to make an afternoon snack. 
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    Now ya'll stop pickin' on SGH.   He could have delicate sensibilities.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Nah, he knows he's one of my "very favorites"
  • SGH
    Options
    Sweet100s said:

Dang.   I want a mini...

It just so convienant. I have the mini sitting right beside my large. I don't have to fool with going from indirect to direct on the large, handling and removing a hot plate setter or stone or ramping up the temp on the large. No more lump than the little mini uses its worth it to me. We each have our way of doing things and what we think works best for us. With that said, I much prefer to sear on the mini vs the large. It's much more manageable and I feel I get a better end result. The mini is honestly a searing machine. No matter what I'm going to sear, if it will fit on the mini, I'm going to use the mini for the sear. I know that the little mini is not for everyone. But SGH will always have one in his arsenal for searing. Wish that I would have listened to @Mickey years ago and bought one back then. 

Status- Standing by.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SGH said: I have been trying to cut down on my eating a little as of late because I'm getting pretty out of shape. 

@SGH My dad likes to point out that round is a shape.
    Phoenix 
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    Hey, what's that doo-hicky you've got on the bottom, keeping all the lump to one side?
    Denver, CO
  • Hiflyer
    Hiflyer Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Those burgers look fantastic. Getting my first BGE tomorrow. Just in time for Saturday night burgers. Having never used an egg before, I'm a little anxious about how the'll turn out. That's why I'm not starting with steaks. That will be for Sunday. 
    I know I'll get the hang of it. Can't wait to get into it.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Hiflyer said:
    Those burgers look fantastic. Getting my first BGE tomorrow. Just in time for Saturday night burgers. Having never used an egg before, I'm a little anxious about how the'll turn out. That's why I'm not starting with steaks. That will be for Sunday. 
    I know I'll get the hang of it. Can't wait to get into it.

Have fun and SPEND the time to learn how to dial in a temp (top vent & bottom vent) and you are on your way.
  • SGH
    Options
    blasting said:

@SGH My dad likes to point out that round is a shape.
    Indeed it is brother. I'm living proof ;)

Status- Standing by.