Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will it rain on my ribs?

Options
jtcBoynton
jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
Decided to cook up a couple of racks of St. Louis cut ribs for dinner. Put them on right after lunch knowing the thunderstorms were supposed to hit about 6 pm today. Race to finish them in time without getting soaked.  Of course, after they were started I checked the latest weather report. Seems that they changed the forecast (is anyone surprised?) for today. Storms are predicted for the 2-3 o'clock hour. Should be nice by dinner time. Took everything off the egg table that shouldn't get wet. It will be interesting how much the egg temp changes due to the storms (assuming they actually materialize).  

It is a beautiful day right now.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

Comments

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It won't even bat an eye. I barely have to adjust my settings and where I live, temps fluctuate between -30 to 110 degrees throughout the year. 
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    The temp should not change at all. Having said that, you might get some rain in through the daisy wheel but, I suspect that it is only opened slightly so should not be much,
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    the only problem with rain and ribs on the BGE, is your discomfort. Get a big umbrella and a chair, enjoy the cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Slight ambient temp and rain will have very little effect on your Cook temp.
    Only real temp changes will come by increased wind in the direction of your lower vent. Even then, on a low and slow, will be slight because your lower vent is open very little.

Show us the RIBS...  

This is also not "Off Topic" to me. Post on main forum page.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    I have one of those portable canopies I use for shade. The problem is that they don't like wind. If the thunderstorms do develop, they will  have some strong winds with them. 

I do anticipate some temp change inside the egg. Here in south Florida, the solar radiation is intense. It makes a difference in temp if it is a sunny day or a cloudy day. When I do a low and slow overnight cook the egg temp will stay steady all night long and into the morning. About 9 am the temp will start to climb (that is when my egg starts to get direct sun).  Easily will get a 50° rise if I don't adjust the vents.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    It always seems to rain on me when I do an overnight cook.  It's really not a big deal man. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    As requested here are the ribs. This after an hour - temp was 260° to start and has creeped up to 280°. 

Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Everytime I cook it rains.  It just helps your smoke ring.

I would be worried if it wasn't raining.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Just got back from running an errand. During the 45 minutes I was gone, it did rain. Checked the egg and the temp had dropped to 160°. There was quite a bit of moisture on the inside of the dome. Ribs are looking good. Opened up the vents, stirred the lump, and hit it with a torch to make sure it would burn. Temp is back up to 250° and ribs are back in the egg. As is well.  Just for reference it rained 2" in about 30 minutes. Even with that small opening in the daisy wheel I assume enough water entered the egg to have an impact.

Southeast Florida - LBGE

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    Dinner time!  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looking good!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nothing wrong there, looks FAB!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    This was made for over-nighters and those evening cloudbursts:  www.perfectbbqtek.com.  I wish I could get you one today.  I sure don't like my rib crust rinsed off.

Best of luck!- Jack
    Best - Jack
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great looking ribs.....  May want to consider Smokeware cap.... I don't have to worry about this anymore
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    I have been thinking about getting a Smokeware cap. One more thing to get for my egg.  :)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Great looking ribs!
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Lip smacking good right there.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    This was made for over-nighters and those evening cloudbursts:  www.perfectbbqtek.com.  I wish I could get you one today.  I sure don't like my rib crust rinsed off.

Best of luck!- Jack
    Stop posting to sell.  Seriously.