Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first explosion

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited July 2015 in Pork
My first BACON explosion that is. Got it from here - http://blog.bbqaddicts.com/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Started with 1 pound of Jimmy Dean original and put it in a gallon ziploc and pushed it out into an even layer. After it looked as even as possible I put it in the fridge for about 45 minutes to firm back up. 

After that I took it out of the fridge and cut away the seams of the ziploc and added a pound and a half package of bacon I had cooked until crispy on the Blackstone griddle.

I then added a little Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction and some small drips of Blues Hog original sauce and some shredded cheese. I put it back in the fridge just like this to firm back up.

While it was in the fridge firming up I built the bacon weave on a peace of parchment paper.

I put the bacon weave in the fridge to firm up and took the sausage mat back out.

I went ahead and rolled it up now that it had about 30 minutes to firm back up. I used the ziploc plastic to make it easier.

And back in the fridge to firm up... again.

After another half hour or so. I took it and the bacon weave and married the two.

And covered that in more Sweet Seduction rub

On the Green Egg it goes at 300

When the Fatty hit 150 I took it inside and put it under the broiler to crisp up the bacon. This is it before the broiler.

Then I basted it with and put it back on the smoker.

And after it came off the smoker, it was AMAZING!!

We had some chicken thighs too.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments