Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bison Airlighter

Options
I just saw this fire starter on a "gear" website. It looks fairly powerful and like it may be a nice purchase. I've been using a MAP torch for the last year or so but I've gone through two of them. One of them oxidized and fused to the propane tank and the second one clogged and has no gas flow. 

If if anyone has a Bison AirlighterI I'd like to hear how it's worked for you. 
LBGE, CGW Swing Rack, Baking Steel. Mini-Max on the way. 

Boston MA

Comments

• HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
    I've been eyeing those since they came out over a year ago. I'm leary. My $10 electric starter does just fine. 
    Don't like the idea of having to charge it or having to buy refills (butane).
    If you have to get some crazy fire starter then the "loof-lighter" may be the way to go...and you don't have to buy butane. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Saw them at Costco the other day.  Just a fancy heat gun from what I saw.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    This seems like it would be perfect for me. I've been using the oiled paper towel method but don't care for it with the MM. The Airlighter  seems like it gets plenty of burn time/uses between charges and fill ups per the Bison website. 

stlcharcoal, you said it's just a fancy heat gun. Is there something similar that's cordless for less money? 

I hope more on the forum post reviews. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    Options

biggreenegg has done a comparison of the bison airlighter and the looftlighter if your interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzD-TjDXm0E

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

• stemc33
    Options
    @dmirish1, thanks for posting that video. 

Good job on the review by @Big_Green_Craig. Definitely put the Bison on my want list. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

stlcharcoal, you said it's just a fancy heat gun. Is there something similar that's cordless for less money? 

Sorry, I had confused with the JoeBlow......someone told me about both, but I didn't stop at the store to look at the Bison.  I didn't realize it was cordless--that's a game changer.  Wonder if it works better than a propane or MAPP torch though.

I just got a BBQ Dragon.  I start the fire with a weed burner, then point it in the draft door.  500F in under 5 minutes.  

• stemc33
    Options

@stlcharcoal, you said it's just a fancy heat gun. Is there something similar that's cordless for less money? 

Sorry, I had confused with the JoeBlow......someone told me about both, but I didn't stop at the store to look at the Bison.  I didn't realize it was cordless--that's a game changer.  Wonder if it works better than a propane or MAPP torch though.

I just got a BBQ Dragon.  I start the fire with a weed burner, then point it in the draft door.  500F in under 5 minutes.  

With the hairdryer effect, I think it'd work better. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming