Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisky

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
13.2 lb packer pre-trimmed. Probably took little over 2 lbs off. Rubbed and about to hit the egg in 30-45 minutes. Hoping to be done around noon to 1 pm tomorrow then FTC until 6. 
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Enjoy the ride! 
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks good Chubbs.  I will be following closely.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I'll be watching.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Pit controller or just vent settings?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Forgot to mention this is USDA Choice. Couldn't pass up the price. Decided on hickory and pecan wood for this one. Rub was salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Flat was pretty good size and point was large. After opening, didn't like a decent bit of point. Much harder fat than usual and figured no way it would render so got rid of it. Point is now kind of small but hoping for best. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks doggone good buddy 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm jealous that you'll be tucking into a brisky on a Monday night.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    caliking said:
    I'm jealous that you'll be tucking into a brisky on a Monday night.
    Haha. Working from home tomorrow so taking advantage. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Getting a delayed start now. Went out and very windy. Temp crept to 300. Going to be tough to get her down but will try for a bit before throwing her on. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    7 hours in. Brisket at 170 in flat. Egg was at 230 dome when I woke up. So far so good. Still haven't opened to take a look. 
  • QingEsq
    Options
    What is the wrap method of choice for this cook?
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • Chubbs
    Options
    QingEsq said:
    What is the wrap method of choice for this cook?
    Cooked so fast no wrap. This was a weird one. Barely any stall and trying to decide what to do at this point. It is done. Dinner not until 6. Weird cook 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker @cazzy any thoughts. This was a weird one. It is at 202 at 8.5 hours. Dome calibrated QC'd Maverick with Thermopen. Still firm in some areas so still on. Dinner not until 6. Hold that long? Only have foil. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Here it is currently. At 207 in parts. Still firm in others. 
  • QingEsq
    Options
    Something is off Chubbs.  At 7:40 you posted that the temp was 170.  Less than 2 hours later, you are at 202 to 207.  And I am assuming that the dome is still around 230.  That's a really fast temp rise, especially considering that the meat is approaching ambient temp.  What kind of temp reading are you getting at the grate level?  I think you are fairly high in the dome based on an early pic, so I imagine it is essentially the same as dome temp, but I am stumped by this one otherwise.  Interested to hear what the brisky gurus have to say.

As for storing, do you have anything else to go on the egg today?  If not, you could wrap and try to use the egg as a hotbox, keeping a super low, smoldering fire.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    @chubbs - where did you get it?  I only ask because I wasn't impressed with the 2 I purchased from Ole Timey on Rosewood.   Very strange results on your cook.  I'd throw some beef broth on it, wrap in foil and place in the oven on warm.   My oven is around 165 on warm.   Should be good.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Are you still getting the same temp when you probe from the top?  It is possible that you have probed the fat band between the tpoint and flat, which would give you a false reading.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chubbs
    Options
    QingEsq said:
    Something is off Chubbs.  At 7:40 you posted that the temp was 170.  Less than 2 hours later, you are at 202 to 207.  And I am assuming that the dome is still around 230.  That's a really fast temp rise, especially considering that the meat is approaching ambient temp.  What kind of temp reading are you getting at the grate level?  I think you are fairly high in the dome based on an early pic, so I imagine it is essentially the same as dome temp, but I am stumped by this one otherwise.  Interested to hear what the brisky gurus have to say.

As for storing, do you have anything else to go on the egg today?  If not, you could wrap and try to use the egg as a hotbox, keeping a super low, smoldering fire.

The egg was at 230 when I woke up. I bumped it up to 280 dome afterwards. The only thing I can think of is I was fairly aggressive with trimming the point, but doesn't answer the flat piece. If you look at my second pic, the fat layer on the top has not rendered as much as you would think. The brisket is jiggly like it is done. I have nothing else to egg today. 9 hours is fairly reasonable timing for a brisket, but still too fast IMO. My Maverick and Thermopen read same exact temps. Weirdest cook in my 5 years of egging.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Are you still getting the same temp when you probe from the top?  It is possible that you have probed the fat band between the tpoint and flat, which would give you a false reading.

I am getting same reading wherever I probe. It is between a few degrees everywhere I probe. Dome thermo calibrated, thermopen and maverick reading same temp. I mean ~11 pounds in 9 hours is not unheard of, but certainly weird. When looking at the second pic, doesn't it look like the fat on the flat needs a lot more rendering? What would you suggest at this point? It was around 207 when I FTC at 9:30am. This would be a 8 hours hold until dinner. Currently trying to get the egg as low as possible, but holding close to 260 grate right now.
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:

I am getting same reading wherever I probe. It is between a few degrees everywhere I probe. Dome thermo calibrated, thermopen and maverick reading same temp. I mean ~11 pounds in 9 hours is not unheard of, but certainly weird. When looking at the second pic, doesn't it look like the fat on the flat needs a lot more rendering? What would you suggest at this point? It was around 207 when I FTC at 9:30am. This would be a 8 hours hold until dinner. Currently trying to get the egg as low as possible, but holding close to 260 grate right now.
    Pull it....when it is done, it is done.  You left the fat cap pretty thick, so it prolly was never going to render.

What holding options do you have?  Oven have warm feature?
  • Chubbs
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:

Pull it....when it is done, it is done.  You left the fat cap pretty thick, so it prolly was never going to render.

I have it FTC right now. No "warm" feature but I can set it to whatever temp I need.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:

I have it FTC right now. No "warm" feature but I can set it to whatever temp I need.
    145?
  • Chubbs
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:

145?

Actually, 170 is lowest. Put it in at 170 or keep FTC for few more hours and then in oven?
  • cazzy
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:

145?

Actually, 170 is lowest. Put it in at 170 or keep FTC for few more hours and then in oven?
    FTC is fine.  Cen has done that hold many times so you'll be fine.  Make sure it is completely full with towels though. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Mine always seem to finish at irregular times too.  Looks great!!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:

145?

FTC is fine.  Cen has done that hold many times so you'll be fine.  Make sure it is completely full with towels though. 

Cool. Thanks. 5 hours is longest I have FTC and it was still hot to the touch.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    cazzy said:

145?

Cool. Thanks. 5 hours is longest I have FTC and it was still hot to the touch.
    I really wanted to just see this long quote again......

XLBGE 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Lol. Same here. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    You can cycle towels hot from the dryer to the cooler for a little extra heat. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Really looking forward to the "slicing" pics.
    I think you will be fine.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon