Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Berkshire Pork

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
edited July 2015 in Pork
Picked up a small partial rack of Berkshire spares at the farmers market yesterday. First indirect cook on the Mini Max.  The Woo is awesome.  I had fire problems at about the 2.5 hour mark. Easy fix with the Woo. I just grabbed my handy dandy cheapo cotton pot holders. Lifted the whole thing out. Fixed the fire within about 5 seconds. Dropped the Woo combo back in and all was good. Here's the pics. 

Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Looks great, so how were they different than more commercial pork?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Awesome. Nice pictures. That's a nice little cooker!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • stemc33
    Options
    Legume said:
    Im not sure how to describe it. I guess it just has a richer flavor. The ribs I got had significant less meat than the commercial spares. This is only my second time trying Berkshire. It also seemed more tender, but it could of just been that pig. I also used a new rub I got from the exchange so that could of contributed to the different flavor.

@jonnymack, the Oakridge sampler Dominator Sweet Rib Rub is great. Thanks again.  
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Awesome. Nice pictures. That's a nice little cooker!
    Thanks. Definitely agree on it being a nice little cooker. I've only had it a few weeks, but feel as I have already got my money's worth.  
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Awesome looking ribs right there!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Brilliant cook. Love the pics!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Great looking ribs @stemc33! What's that little contraption you have elevating your drip pan? Also, it looks like your stone may have a crack in it from that same photo.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Legume said:
    Im not sure how to describe it. I guess it just has a richer flavor. The ribs I got had significant less meat than the commercial spares. This is only my second time trying Berkshire. It also seemed more tender, but it could of just been that pig. I also used a new rub I got from the exchange so that could of contributed to the different flavor.

@jonnymack, the Oakridge sampler Dominator Sweet Rib Rub is great. Thanks again.  
    Ribs looked good.  We liked the Dominator rub too.  It was almost like having wet ribs without the sauce.  

I have a feeling it will be great on chicken so i'm doing that today. 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stemc33
    Options
    Springs on a wire. I thought they would stand upright but they work great all the same. I got tired of having the tinfoil fall into the fire. I thought bigger flatter foil would work, but it just increased the surface area and the wind would blow them into the fire before I could get the pan on. This gives plenty of clearance to prevent scorching. 

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Nice looking ribs!  
    A bit OT, but I have to say, I have done the drive through Wyoming along I80 a few times and I was really dissappointed.  It just did not look like what I was expecting and I had no real desire to go back except to yellowstone and jackson hole.  But seeing your pics, I think I might have to explore more of the great state of Wyoming some day.  Beautiful scenery, even just the lush green grass with mountains in the backgrounds in your picks here.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • stemc33
    Options
    @QingEsq, I had similar feelings when I first got stationed here. The closer we got to Cody, I just kept saying "I don't know about this". Once we got off the beaten path it's really nice and a great state to live. Hence why we chose to retire here(semi retired). We would go to Yellowstone once or twice a year when we lived on that side of the state. It was nice when it wasn't full of tourists, not our favorite though.  My son lives off of I-80 and finds great places to see and camp. Here's a place he camped at near I-80. 

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Wow!  The starlit sky looks photoshopped it is so amazing.  Thanks for sharing Steve.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • stemc33
    edited July 2015
    Options
    QingEsq said:
    Wow!  The starlit sky looks photoshopped it is so amazing.  Thanks for sharing Steve.
    We have some cool skies, but I'm sure my son doctored up the pic some. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    That's some mighty fine looking ribs brother stem. Solid brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Plus a couple on the ribs ... they look great.  The Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rib Rub is our favorite also.  As usual, the pics are great ... do keep them coming.

Noticed your BGE plastic feet are tearing ... that's another item that the company needs to improve.  They tear on the smaller units and melt into the ceramic of the egg when used on the nest with the larger eggs.

As to the Rube Goldburg spring and wire contraption ... well ... ah ... hmmm ...

Let me remind you of the kiln post solution.  I bought them on a lark, but they turned out to be a great purchase.  Because they are sawed off a longer piece, the ends are slightly rough, thus they stay solidly in place on the stone.  And, the drip pan doesn't slide around as much as when it's supported by copper fittings or crumpled up aluminum foil.  They make the Woo units a little safer when the drip pans are filled with hot grease.  These are 1" X 1" X 1/2" high:

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stemc33
    Options
    Thanks at @Jeepster47. The feet tore within 5min. I think they're meant to protect the showroom floor for the stores that display them. At least that's all they're good for. 

I definitely like your method of raising the drip pan better. This was a cheap temporary fix for a couple of bucks that's better than foil. 

Where did you get the kiln post?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I stopped in at a ceramics store in Tucson, AZ, this Spring to check them out before buying any.  Here is their website: http://www.marjonceramics.com/  In the store they're about a buck or so apiece ... shipping is the killer.

Amazon also sells them.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max