Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

controlling temp in BGE

Options
Bill L.
Bill L. Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My biggest challenge is controlling temperature. Does anyone have some guidance for the low and slow method? I keep getting really high temperatures and can't seem to get them down below 300 degrees. I would really like to cook a turkey or pork shoulder overnight without having to get up every hour.[p]Bill L.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Bill L.,
    You are letting the fire get too hot before you start to damper down. For low and slo start to damper down when the dome thermometer hits about 180*. It is hard to bring the
    EGG down from high temp build up. s for turkey forget overnight low and slo.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Bill L., As per JJ's comment, I start closing the bottom vent at about 160-180 degrees - I also use the old style daisy wheel and start closing the openings on it - for about 200 degrees the bottom vent may be open 3/8 in and the vents in th edaisy almost closed - I have a medium and other sizes may be different.[p]If the temp does get to hot, I have had some luck opening the top, adding all my fire bricks and closing all the vents until it is below the desired temp - I will ten remove the firebricks (using gloves) and regulate with the vents - Per JJ, if the temp gets too high, it is hard to bring it down.[p]Good Luck!

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Bill, JJ said it right. I not only start closing down around 150-180, I also put the meat on at that point. Smoke penetration is greatest when the meat is relatively cool; it pretty much stops when the meat's exterior hits 140 degrees. So if you like a lot of smoke flavor, try putting your meat on cold (which acts as a heat sink and helps keep the Egg temp down) and starting it out on a not-too-hot Egg.[p]Cathy

• Bill L.
    Options
    Gfw,JJ and Cat:
    Thanks for the advice. I had no idea that you could effectively cook by closing the vents at 160-180 degrees. I guess that means that I have to start the charcoal in a chimney outside of the cooker and pour them into the cold cooker. If you do this, do you wait until most of the coals are red hot before emptying the chimney, or do you just barely get them started. [p]Also, how much charcoal do you start out with for a pork shoulder? Isn't it awkward adding firebricks and charcoal when the meat is already cooking for a couple of hours? [p]

• Bill L.
    Options
    JJ,
    Thanks for the advice. I asked a few more Questions in my response to Gfw. (I'm just getting the hang of this Bulletin Board) Take a look and see if my comments make sense.[p]Bill[p]

• Bill L.
    Options
    Cat,
    Thanks for the advice. I posed a few questions to GFW. If you have any thought, please chime in.[p]Bill

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S09_29_9917_43_05.jpg
    <p />Bill L., I think we should start over - I don't have, and have never used a fire chimney. I have used an electric starter and weber style fire starter cubes. [p]I fill the lump to the top on the chamber (the picture was my first BGE cook - now I fill it to the top - where the two pieces meet) and start the fire - with an electric starter I pull the starter when the coals get going - with the cubes it gets hotter faster and will then die down after the cubes are gone. During this process, if the fire gets too hot, I have had success by adding firebricks - for low/slow they are already on the grill.[p]Check out the link - hope it helps!

[ul][li]Pulled Pork[/ul]