Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Underneath Support Around The Hole Question (Table Build)

Options
So I built a table a few weeks ago for my medium egg and am not very pleased with it. I rushed the whole process and eyed a bunch of stuff without using clamps or levelers. At first glance I supposed the table looks alright but there are some problems with the wood bending where the hole for the egg was cut, as well as the end which makes them look very uneven. Additionally I am not thrilled with the stain color that is on the original table. I went in and bought the first thing I saw which was actually "deck stain" instead of a finer finish. I have decided to build another table and put more time and effort into getting the correct measurements and whatnot. So far I have the main frame built and everything is leveled out perfectly but wanted to get some advice before continuing with laying the boards down. 

Do I need to construct a wooden circle underneath in order for the boards to not bend? I have seen some tables that have it, and others that don't. I was thinking about just adding another 2x4 support beam a little bit closer to the edge of the hole to secure in more and keep it from bending. Will that be enough or is the full circle a must? I have provided some pics below to reference what I am talking about.

Pic # 1 - Original Table

Pic # 2 - New frame (so far) 

Pic # 3 - Example of extra 2x4 I was planning on doing

Pic # 4 - Example of rounded underneath support in question 

Charlotte, NC

Comments

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I have not built a table yet, but if I do, the last picture in your post with the added support under the edges of the table top would probably be the way I'd go.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Put in some diagonal supports to cut the corners around the egg like in the last picture. That should support the boards and keep them from warping. I would leave a little more space between the egg and the 2x4 than what is pictured.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Biff_Tannen
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Put in some diagonal supports to cut the corners around the egg like in the last picture. That should support the boards and keep them from warping. I would leave a little more space between the egg and the 2x4 than what is pictured.
    Ok thanks! So for the diagonal supports, would I just have to cut an angle in the end of the 2x4? The reason I ask is because I got all my wood pre-cut this time when I purchased it.
    Charlotte, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That would be ideal but you could just toe screw them in with some long screws and it would be fine.
    Options
    Your table and build look fine. Your choice of lumber could have been better if that is pressure treated lumber for the top. If it is, pressure treated has a bad habit of warping.

Can you just buy some cedar and replace just the top? That would last just as long.