Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

xtra lg egg

Why can't i find a hinged grate for the xl egg?  What do the rest of you do if you want to add more chips or charcoal during cooking?  Never thought it would be a problem when bought the egg.

Comments

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    It is pretty hard to run out of lump on one cook on an egg. I have cooked a brisket 19 hours on one load of lump in a large. 

Just load it up with charcoal, mix in some chips or chunks and and cook.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Like @ibanda said you won't need to add lump during a cook.  For smoke I would recommend using wood chunks over chips.  You can mix them throughout the lump in hope that during the cook new pieces of wood will give off smoke.  I think you will find that even regular lump gives off a "smoke" flavor to your food.  Its not like cooking on a stick burner so don't think you need smoke the whole time. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    @ibanda  ... how much lump does it take to fill an xl? 1 bag - 2?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Just add the chips/chunks with the lump. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Use two chimney starters full...when fire got low and temp went below 295 and wanted to get  temp back to 350...
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Owned the XL for years and never needed to add more charcoal/wood.  I fill it up the same way every time and shut down vents when done to save the rest for the next cook (which is what most people do).  You'll figure everything out as you go or keep reading for tips.  Enjoy.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Use two chimney starters full...when fire got low and temp went below 295 and wanted to get  temp back to 350...
    Just fill it up to the top of the firebox. You won't run out and you can top off before cooks.  Because of the ceramic damper and draft door, you can effectively cut off airflow and preserve unused lump 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Actually I am amazed how little lump is actually used. I have done two low and slows for a total of about 14 hours and several 500 pizza cooks on the same load. I have an XL, and to me, that blows my mind.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    My XL goes a long ways on a full load of lump......numerous cooks.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Thanks for all the help