Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about my new Large Egg!

Options
I bought my Large green egg brand new from a dealer a few weeks ago. When I got home in proceeded to assemble everything.  During the assembly I placed the fire box into the ceramic base, fire ring on top, the grate, and finally the grid.  When I was trying to get the "guts" all nice and centered in the base I noticed that the whole works was "teetering" inside the ceramic base.  Upon a closer exam it seems like the movement was coming from the floor of the ceramic base and or the bottom of the fire box are not completely flat.  Anyway up at grid level this "teetering" seems to be significant.
I called my dealer and sent him an email so I know he documented it.  He told me that the bottom will become filled with ash and "fill in" the inconsistency in the bottom of the ceramic base where the firebox rests.  
I was ok with that at first but the more I think about what I paid for this set up I am wondering if I should demand that the part(s) be replaced NOW whatever that may entail.
I mean I plan on keeping the base clean and free of ash. That would counter his theory that the ash wil fill in the out of flat ceramic base or fire box.
What do you think?
LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    If I were you I would get new parts
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Open it back up and look at it closer. But no I wouldn't settle for a wobbly $8-900 egg. Should be solid when it's all sitting in there. 

XLBGE 
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    I have a large and mine does not "teeter" in any way it all fits solid, the ash filing in the bottom is a bs solution 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Bad BGE. Get the new parts.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BigGreenGiant
    Options
    New egg
    mine was solid too
    sounds like the dealer may not want to deal with returns
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Should not teeter at all! If he told you that the ash will fill it in, he straight up lied to you and gave you a line! That's bs that he even said that to you in my book. I would return it and demand an exchange for a new one due to the defect and if he won't do it, then tell him it's a manufacturers defect and is covered under warranty and you want new parts. 
    NW IOWA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I get it but in all honesty are you really going to touch your fire box much other than a clean out? Unless you are saying with the grid on there is unevenness and it wobbles to the touch, then I'm not sure there's much to worry about. Many of us have an under bite, we don't like it and would love it to look nice and pretty but at the end of the day it does not affect the egg. The $600 mini max has a fire ring that does not look like it truly fits, if we force the grid around it will move and wobble, but end of the day it works. Just my opinion.
    Seattle, WA
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    With the grid on it wobbles to the touch significantly I would say about 1/4" or more
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If your dealer gives you the run around call Bruce at BGE. He is excellent and handles all warranty claims. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    What @Jstroke said. See my thread here about a ceramic problem I had where dealer didn't think it was a problem but BGE fixed me up. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • EggcitedinNJ
    Options

That's unacceptable. There should be no wobble.

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Why do folks think they need to keep these things ash free? I use ours daily, ain't no way I would be cleaning out the ash after every use. Since the last cleaning I have used our Large 5 times....has at least that many more cooks prior to cleaning...A dirty Egg is a used Egg....
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    edited July 2015
    Options
    But if it bothers you that much and the dealer won't help con tact  bruce@biggreenegg.com
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Why do folks think they need to keep these things ash free? I use ours daily, ain't no way I would be cleaning out the ash after every use. Since the last cleaning I have used our Large 5 times....has at least that many more cooks prior to cleaning...A dirty Egg is a used Egg....
    The issue was not how often OP cleaned ash out of the egg but the notion that an accumulation of ash was the normal/accepted solution to the wobble. As others have said, that's just BS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
     Let the dealer know you are aware of you right with the warranty and looking to him for a legit solution. Not a band-aid like his ridiculous ash theory. If he still declines to help, contact mothership and send his email as proof. Also, I would locate another dealer
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • A31unit
    Options
    I fixed the problem myself today. My dealer is excellent and was going to replace the part(s).  I looked again, took the whole thing apart, and sanded the high spots on the bottom of the fire box with coarse grit and a block. I custom fitted it. It was some work but it's just about perfect now.  I shouldn't have had to do that but it saves more time and work with an easy fix. I guess the tolerances are a bit off in Mexico!!  Lol
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    good your happy with it now =) as for the ash, i leave ash in there on purpose to buffer the heat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Obviously the ash has to be cleaned out at some point but, you'd be surprised at how infrequently it really has to be done.

When you do need to clean it out consider using one of these... works great!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Do not be put off.  Press the dealer for a full replacement and whatever he says, Reply "Fine, now when is this going to replaced and right?"  That is  simply infuriating and if he thinks that the BGE is supposed to assemble in that manner, he shouldn't be a dealer.
    Best - Jack
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    I would skip the dealer and call the mothership.
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    That's definitely abnormal. You may get better results dealing with factory directly. My fire box sits perfectly flat. 
  • A31unit
    Options
    I emailed Bruce @big green egg last night and he responded this morning advising me that a new fire box would be going in the mail. Obviously great customer service!