Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI plate setter users....

Options
How do you keep it clean, just a simple brushing? Do you hit it with oil, to keep it seasoned, on a regular basis?

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I use a stiff bristled brush and just give it a good scrub.  It's cast iron so I guess it wouldn't hurt to use a little cooking oil. 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Keeping it clean is a question for whether or not you intend to use it as a cooking surface as well as a direct heat deflector.

If you're not going to cook on it, why keep it clean? If you cook on it, it's going to get really messy and "require" cleaning.

Either way, you don't want rust, so season it.

To clean it, fire it really hot - 700f dome. Nothing that survives that kind of heat (1200+f iron temp?) will be "dirty" enough to worry about ingesting. You have to re-season after that kind of burn. White ash is a good sign it's clean. Brush off the white stuff, oil and replace on the fire ring while the Egg comes back down in temp to season.

Depending on what you cook, and what splatters on your iron, will determine your need to fire clean it.  If you bring the thing inside and put it in your sink, you'll get perspective on how dirty and HUGE the thing is. I don't recommend washing it in your sink.

Just burn it off, brush it, oil it, let that oil sink in at 400f.

Or you can wrap it in foil.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Keeping it clean is a question for whether or not you intend to use it as a cooking surface as well as a direct heat deflector.

If you're not going to cook on it, why keep it clean? If you cook on it, it's going to get really messy and "require" cleaning.

Either way, you don't want rust, so season it.

To clean it, fire it really hot - 700f dome. Nothing that survives that kind of heat (1200+f iron temp?) will be "dirty" enough to worry about ingesting. You have to re-season after that kind of burn. White ash is a good sign it's clean. Brush off the white stuff, oil and replace on the fire ring while the Egg comes back down in temp to season.

Depending on what you cook, and what splatters on your iron, will determine your need to fire clean it.  If you bring the thing inside and put it in your sink, you'll get perspective on how dirty and HUGE the thing is. I don't recommend washing it in your sink.

Just burn it off, brush it, oil it, let that oil sink in at 400f.

Or you can wrap it in foil.
    Plan on using for everything. Wife wants to start "baking" on the Egg. We just got the Large a couple weeks ago, figured I would put the Ceramic Plate Setter aside and let her use that for baking purposes and the CI one for everything else. But then again the CI one won't absorb any flavors so as long as it is clean she could use it for baking, correct?

Have had our XL since 04 or so and am finally getting interested in using it beyond burgers and flank steak...
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    I have never oiled mine.  I just use a grill brush to clean it.  
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13