Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spacers needed for pizza stone?

Options
i am starting to work on pizzas in earnest.....the dough and the whole deal.....No problems with appropriate temps and things of that nature......question is: I made the extended grid with 4" ss bolts to raise another grid 31/2" up into the dome.....do I need to still raise the off the raised grid, or can the stone just rest on the raised grid itself?.........

thanks guys

Berlin, Maryland

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Do you have an indirect piece in? The stone just doesn't need to be on top of another stone or plate setter. It gets too hot. Stone on the grate will work assuming indirect below
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • VooDuuChild
    Options
    I always use the placesetter, legs down, then crumpled up foil to space my pizza stone above it.....always.
    1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    I made pizza tonight.... I've decided I totally need to raise the stone higher into the dome.   The bottom of the crust cooked too fast leaving the toppings lacking.   My setter was legs up, grate then the stone on the grate. I cooked several pizzas at temps ranging from 500 to 700 degrees.  The same result....overcooked bottom crust.  SMDH back to the drawing board. 
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    I like the platesetter legs up with stone on grid.  

If you are getting crust done before toppings are ready, your stone is too hot.  I have found that you can reduce stone temp by wipping down the pizza stone with a damp rag in the middle of a multi pizza cook.  

Stay with it, only gets better. Nothing beats wood fired pies in the backyard.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I found that in my XL, at least, plate setter legs up and grate with pizza stone on top DID cook the crust too quickly.   With both my big stone (21"?) and small stone (appetizer pizza, you know!)
    Next try?    
    I'll use the same setup EXCEPT I'll put my 13" stone directly on TOP of the plate setter.   I'd like to see the heat get thru THAT mass of ceramic.  Spacers NOT of aluminum between the pizza stone and plate setter may be needed at that point, but I doubt it.  
  • chick533
    chick533 Posts: 50
    Options
    ON my XL I like plate setter legs down, grate on top of plate setter with large pizza stone on grate. About 9 minutes at 550 works very well
    2XLBGE, Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini, 36" Blackstone
    Raymore, MO
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @Trixie_Belle if you can get your stone above felt line by several inches, you'll see a big difference in how the top cooks, closer to being under a broiler while the bottom keeps pace.