Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston butt

Options
I cooked my first Boston butt for 16 hours. The temperatures ranged anywhere from 300 to 225. The Boston butt weighed 8.25 pounds. I am surprised it took that long. The internal temperature was. At 182 when I took it out. The bone had been out for around 45 minutes when I took it out. Well here is the final pics of the done deal. 

Comments

• Rebhanmh
    Rebhanmh Posts: 79
    Options
    Looks pretty good, not sure if you are aware but normally people shoot for 200-203 degrees for an internal temperature before they remove from smoker. I've seen people take it off as early as 190 but never that low. Did you have any problem pulling it? I hope it tastes good because that glaze looks delicious!
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • ferndchamp
    ferndchamp Posts: 152
    Options
    The weirded thing is that I put it in foil after 9 hours and when in the foil it read 180 degrees. I left it in the foil for 4 hours and I took it out the internal temperature was 165. I used two different thermometers so it should have been accurate. Idk what happened!
  • Rebhanmh
    Rebhanmh Posts: 79
    Options
    Sometimes the bone can read a higher temperature or if you go too far through the meat and touch the grill it will read a higher temperature too. Make sure you are getting multiple reads in different areas so you can make sure it's consistent. I like to do on each side and two different spots in the center, one near the bone and one away from it.
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks delicious. What kind of thermometer are you using? Temps seem too low to pull that good. You could of took it off when the bone came out. Temp isn't important on pulled pork. The best measure is feel. Probe until it's like butter all over. If the bone pulls easy and clean the rest of the butt will usually pull easy. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Looks very good.  If you don't have a good instant read thermometer I'd suggest getting a ThermoPop or ThermaPen. they are very accurate and very fast. 
    http://www.thermoworks.com
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2