Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digi-Q, Flame boss, with high temp cooking

Options
OK, I know the Digi-Q, Flame boss are great for low and slow, but what about doing pizza's? Does anyone use them for high temp cooking.
LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    No. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    I don't use my Q's for high temps.  The fans run constantly and you can get better results by setting the vents wide open.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't know, I have a Stoker and the temp probes are not rated that high. The probes will burn up
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I wouldn't want to risk damaging the wire cable under a high temp direct cook.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Nope. At high temps I'm not sure precise temp control is as important as with low and slows. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    The only one that might work well doing that would be the original Flame Boss. It uses type K industrial thermocouples some of which can endure 1800° or more. I think it would be a bit of a waste though as it is so easy to get the Egg to high temps with no outside assistance. If you are just monitoring temp for a pizza cook the best way I can think of would be to use an infrared non contact thermometer and shoot the pizza stone through the open top vent while controlling temp with the bottom.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    You can only set it to the max which is 450.  You don't want to risk damaging the probes at or above that.  The probe might be good to a higher temp, but I'm more worried about the wires taking a direct flame at that temp.

Either way, 350 and above is easy, and usuay quick.  No reason to set it up, just use the draft door and cap to regulate.  The egg loves the mid range temp.

• grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Options
    OK, thanks everyone. I didn't so, just wanted to double check.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC