Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Eating Contests

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,487
Seeing the new Nathan's hot dog eating champion down 62 dogs reminds me of my only eating contest, in which I took 2nd place. Eat as many softshell tacos as you can in 10 minutes, $2 entry fee. I had no intention of winning anything, just getting a filling meal for $2 (this was during college). 
A large room full of screaming spectators changes things. One in five of the tacos had Taco Johns' extra-hot "green" sauce (which is nothing to me today but extremely hot to us Norwegian/Germans back then), and they weren't marked; you bit into a HOT taco and you had to finish it before grabbing another. I didn't hit a hot one until my last. I put away 8 (1st place downed 9) and got a free t-shirt on top of it! I still have the shirt but it has shrunk over the years.
Anyone else stuff themselves for fun, fame and profit? 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    I Do it for God and Country, at least when steak is involved! That's a great story! Thanks for sharing. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Botch-most eggcellent-never participated in an eating contest.  Only really big score for low end $$ was a place in Bezerkley, CA (misspelling on purpose) in the early 70's where they had "all you can eat pizza on Tues night" for $2.25.  26 slices later I quit.  (it was 6 slices/pie).  And the younger participants-stay away from any slice with peppers.  There were four of us and our goal was 100 slices-one guy failed to hold his weight.  I was cured of pizza for several years!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
     I think eating contest are disgusting.  I predict a causality will occur to someone in one of these events.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I've done some local hott wing challenges.  Not so much seeing how much you can eat but seeing if you can handle eating 6 of their hottest wings.  I've never thought about trying to eat 62 hotdogs in a week let alone 10 minutes! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Botch said:
    Anyone else stuff themselves for fun, fame and profit? 
    Hell yeah, I do it all the time. Why do I do it? Plain and simple, I like to eat and eat large. I always have. I honestly have a almost endless hunger. As far as eating contest, I can't win the ones that are timed. I'm not a super fast eater due to severe acid reflux.  But I can sit and eat all day at a steady pace. As far as eating very large amounts, I can more than hold my own. Only a select few can put down more than me. And they usually out weigh me by 100 pounds or more. I'm going to a crab fest tomorrow in Long Beach. When I get back I will post some pics of the crabs that I put down. You will be pleasantly suprised my friend. I may not can cook worth a flip, but I can eat with the very best of them. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Botch
    And for the record, I respect fellow heavyweights and men of large appetite. I have no tolerance for nibblers and weight watchers at my table. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Botch said:
    I still have the shirt but it has shrunk over the years.

I hate it when that happens!  =)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @BYS1981-I'm sure you are too young to remember the place-"Magnolia's Thunderpussy".  The name is the only reason I recall the event
    :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @BYS1981-I'm sure you are too young to remember the place-"Magnolia's Thunderpussy".  The name is the only reason I recall the event
    :peace: 
    What sort of eating contest did the Thunderpussy hold?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Lmao you're right, that pizza place I'm not sure still exists.